There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center

Depends on Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Reidsville, NC
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Reidsville, NC

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Chance for advancement, good pay, good benefits.

Cons

You do NOT have a life outside of Rent A Center. The hours are usually 50-60 a week and they are from 9-10am till 7-9pm at nite so they are the hours when your family are in need of your time that you can't give them. If you have a good manager and I did at the last store I worked at, they will work with you to allow some time needed for important times such as graduations, family reunions and such. I have been a store manager and I stepped down to assistant manager because the money was not worth the the stress that upper management puts on you to meet those almighty numbers!! By sat nite you MUST be at a 5.9 on credit and I believe a 20.0 opening for monday morning. Really high pressure to meet those numbers. Also must be "up" on the week in sales. I can remember times I could have met my credit goal but my DM would not let me because then I would have been "down" on the week in sales Crazy.....You rent it and you chase it...name of the game. On the same note tho, there are alot of good customers that are just down on their luck and pay really well and you get close to them as they are in the store every week making their payments. Rent to own gets inyour blood and I have to say I miss the business, just not the hours or the stress.

I know from doing the profit & loss and looking at what Rent A Center's profits yearly that there has to be another less stressful way to motivate managers. Ya'll make plenty of money so that is NOT the problem. Push them pencils some and come of with a better CORE Plan and BTW, the CORE plan you already have....follow it. Respect your employess and you may stop some of that turn over.

482 Other Employee Reviews for Rent-A-Center (View Most Recent)

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

It's a job, If you work as an account manager in credit (Repo) then you get to spend alot of time on the truck , which is better than being in store.

Cons

Taking people stuff that they have paid 3 times the amount for over several years,all because they are late one payment. Going into bad neighborhoods, and run down buildings with no elevator, delivering or repoing a complete apartment full of heavy furniture. Getting cussed out on the phone by customers that you are ripping off. I could go on forever....

honest review

Former Employee - Acct Manager
    Former Employee - Acct Manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RAC gives people the opportunity who either have no credit or bad credit an option to pay weekly, biweekly, or monthly for mdse. They have a wide selection of mdse including top of the line cpus, tvs, lvrm, bdrm, and mattresses.

For me, I worked in the best store in the district I was located in. Unlike credit card companies, rac does not work with credit but instead works one on one with customers. This is good because you get to know your customers and their families very well. The people and the quality of new mdse are pros of working there. The option of buying mdse at 15% above cost is a major perk of working there.

RAC provided me with brand new furniture, a tv, a cpu, a table, and a new washer and dryer. They also helped me rent an apt, and buy a car. If I didnt have that job, I wouldnt have any of that.

Cons

RAC is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of work place. It doesnt matter what you did last year, last month, last week, or even yesterday. They care about what you are doing today to control your deliveries, SMRR, and collections. Some of the stores did illegal activities to control their collections but mine did not. We did things mostly by the book.

Another con of the job is the mdse you pick up from people. Id say 5% of the customers have roaches or bed bugs. Roaches are a common site in the truck and I used hundreds of roach bombs to kill them. Although my boss was hard on me and my other coworkers, I have a lot of respect for him. He is not one to throw you under the bus like other people in the co would.

In my opinion, they need to focus more on what their "mission statement" which in my opinion is a joke. RAC doesnt care about the quality of life for their customers. They co cares more about hitting collection and sales #s than their actual customers. I loved my coworkers and customers but I speak the truth. Anyone who worked there for any length of time would be able to tell you that.

There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center