From Entry Level to Store Manger

Current Employee - Store Manager in Brunswick, GA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Brunswick, GA

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good health benefits, no hour shortage.

Cons

Long Hours, No life balance, Micro-Management,

Advice to Management

Take your managers into consideration when you refuse to allow them any personal time while you never have to work a store. We know we are expected to strive for this company yet we never get congratulations for success, only a slap on the wrist for not doing more. I have not taken a sick/personal day in over three years and have increased my stores profit margin by over 78% in 12 months and still not making any bonus with the new bonus structure to make it worth working 60 hours a week on salary.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A very complex place, no job security, be well aware!

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and some customers make the job worthwhile.

Cons

The company basically has it set up where the CAR's, Assistants, Managers, DM's, and Regional Directors go at each others throats while the Executives collect the residuals ( so long as they have their position). As long as you have leaders who are exactly how the company says they hire, then as long as you're willing to learn, and actually learn, you have no problem. If you find yourself with the company for a long time, it can take something as small as a manager not liking you to be fired instantly. They do this systematically they even have to call HR in order to see if its ok to fire you because most managers have no knowledge of employment laws and can easily lose the company money if the wrongfully terminate you. They do t care if you've been with the company for decades and have established a family, home, etc, they will fire you and not think twice. It's funny to me because the same person that would fire an employee would be replaced or fired themselves eventually! What an oxymoron! It's great the company gives paid time off, however you are not able to use this time unless the manager and/or district says its ok. Then they swear they never got the vacation notice in order to subsequently deny it. Most, if not all of the managers follow company policies so long as it is in the managers best interest. When there may be conflict between you and the store manager for justifiable reasons, instead of having you call corporate (which does not help anyway), they close you in a room to mediate the issue with whoever the DM is at that time (DM's change in the company just about as often as underwear). The sad thing about this remedy process is that you feel cornered as a coworker (woman especially) because the manager and DM have possibly been working and knowing each other for years. So the DM will take up for the manager by any means. This too is funny because the store manager may have once been the DM himself. The training is extremely lackluster and they still e left you to move up without fully knowing the business. Coworkers make the mistake by wanting to mob up because of pay, with little training, and eventually are he responsible for everything. I could go on for hours about this company, but the coworkers need to form a union. Especially those who lives depend on the job. I've personally learned to not talk to HR, and take matters in my own hands. It's called an employment lawyer. Always have one on hand if you plan on working for this company for any amount of good time.

Advice to Management

Will not matter.... They should know already... Lol!

2. Take Caution

Current Employee - Store Manager in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Longview, TX

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for Managers and Asst Managers No Sundays Make good friends

Cons

Too Long of hours 50+, it is almost impossible to take vacation, forget taking off during holidays. Have to deal with same Non paying customers over and over. Unrealistic goals are set by company.

Advice to Management

Make prices more affordable, this is low end furniture for super high end prices. Most importantly take better care of your customers. If the customers are happy they will continue to come back. Give managers more autonomy to satisfy customers.