There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center

store manager of rent a center

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

helping customers out when they need it, great work enviroment, good benefits, competitive salary and quick promotions.

Cons

hours can be long if you are not performing. It can be stressful at times.

Other Employee Reviews for Rent-A-Center

Honestly, this place is a joke

Former Employee - Professional Mid Career Level in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Professional Mid Career Level in Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is experiencing such a bad place, I can now appreciate companies with great cultures that much more.

Cons

It's basically a my way or the highway organization. Very micro managed. There is no exposure or opportunity for anyone under the manager level. People are constantly leaving due to the lack of quality leaders in the organization. I've seen more than one Manager leave after just a few weeks on the job. When you consistently see this, you have to ask yourself is this a place I really want to work? Also, HR (I was not part of HR) has absolutely no say in the organization. If you have an issue or problem (and I saw several during my time there), the person at the higher level will always win because they take care of their own. I've thought about taking this company off my resume because it has such a bad reputation in the area. I have found it a lot harder finding another job because people are scared you will bring in all the bad things they have heard go on here. Benefits are also really expensive. They're more than double what I have paid anywhere else.

Advice to Management

At some point you have to look at yourselves as the problem, not the employees who continually leave. You have plenty of "managers", but no real "leaders".

Long hours, tons of stress from upper management, and no work home balance at all.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was decent but not worth the headache.

Cons

The stress to sell high price items to low income people was unreal. The company rips off customers and harasses them for payments that they cannot make. There is roaches in every store and most of the items are overpriced. Upper management does not protect employees from sexual harassment or threatening customers. There are collection rules that are state laws and every store violates those laws because they are under pressure to hit a number by management. Half the time you come into work early and have to stay until an hour or more after closing, you work every Saturday all day long and all I have seen is a bunch of drunken managers because that is the only way to deal with the stress.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of your butt's and actually do some work. The sales team can only sell so much junk to the same people and because they are under pressure to get a sale no matter what then the collection team is forced to try and collect from people who can't afford it. It is a vicious circle that they can't get out of.