Rent-A-Center

There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center

awesome place

Current Employee - Store Manager in El Paso, TX
Current Employee - Store Manager in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great pay and able to promote in the company

Cons

long hours 55+ hr weeks

i only wish I would have stayed here

551 Other Employee Reviews for Rent-A-Center (View Most Recent)

EVERYONE is a number at Rent A Center
    regardless of tenure

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Worked as a successful store manager for 14 years, offered DM job twice, went on Perform to Win trip to Bahamas and used to love going to work. Didn't mind at all to put in extra hours. THEN!!! Got a new RD during a reorganization. He treats everyone as a number, doesn't care a bit about employees. If your store has a slump hell have you fired, regardless of past performance and tenure. Heard through grape vine he himself was on an action plan, but DVP above him resigned so don't know what happened. He fired a DM who had 20 years experience because " he was too close to his store managers" This company is terrible to work for if you want a career, in being that you are treated like a nobody and demeaned and harassed daily by DM. If your a job hopper it's great. Work there making good money until your fed up with the communist treatment then quit. You are forced to do unethical as well as illegal things to get the job done. Was told to put Benefits Plus ($3.00 per week charge)on every agreement and don't tell the customer in order to hit company goal. Forced to raise early buyout price so we don't show a loss on final payment. Yes, even though customers pay 5 times what RAC pays for merchandise, the way they do depreciation you can show a loss on the customers final payment. Made to break collection laws all the time. Have heard many stories of DM's across the company sleeping with female store managers. I actually had a friend who was a DM and was fired because one of his employees ( who was sleeping with a DM) didn't like him. I have a binder full of threatening and harassing emails from DM that I'm taking to my lawyer. I had to get out of that company. If you want to work in rent to own, do yourself a favor and apply at Aaron's. no I don't work there now but have many friends that do who had previously worked at RAC. They all say its much, much better.

Cons

Very long hours. 9 am to 8 pm every day(except Sunday
    Treated like a number who is expendable
    Harassed and badgered by DM daily
    Only get promoted if you kiss upper managements ass.
    Have to disrespect and harass customers to meet company's ridiculous expectations.
    I can go on and on and on!!!

Your management pool from DM and up is full of terrible managers who make your company a terrible place to work. Should do routine, TOTALY ANONYMOUS manager surveys of DM and RD's and see what's really going on in your company. I used to love to go to work until a new RD took over our area.

Run Away From This Opportunity, as Fast as You Can

Former Employee - Home Office in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Home Office in Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You make more money than you would on unemployment.
    It makes you continuously appreciative of the better work environment in which you will certainly find yourself after you leave the company.

Cons

Horrible office politics
    No work/life balance
    Little regard or respect for employees
    Poor development and advancement opportunities
    Terrible benefits package (and gets worse every year)
    The weight of the knowledge that you are helping a company to exploit the poor (their business model is designed to exploit individuals and families with poor credit, poor resources and income, poor decision-making skills, poor education, and poor impulse control)

Hard to advise senior management, since the problems begin with them. But I will say this: another reviewer mentioned that they were thinking about taking Rent-A-Center off of their resume, as other employers, aware of the problems and culture at Rent-A-Center, don't want to hire former Rent-A-Center employees. That reviewer is absolutely correct; I know because we have that unofficial policy at my current employer, a FAR better company in a FAR more respectable industry. So Rent-A-Center isn't simply a horrible experience while you work there - it damages you in your career that follows. You don't "leave" Rent-A-Center so much as you "survive" it. And that seeds a reputation for which no employer should be proud.

There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center