Rent-A-Center

www.rentacenter.com

Pay was good

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in New York, NY

Pros

The best thing about working at rent a center is that the starting pay is good for a retail job and the benefits are good

Cons

You have no life when you work at rent a center. You have to be there early in the morning and leave late at night because the overtime is mandatory. There is no training when you start, they just expect you to know how to handle accounts.

Please stop trying to promote everyone just because they are able to get people to pay because in reality half the managers don't know what they're doing and possess no supervisory skills.

Other reviews for Rent-A-Center

My experience is just okay and that is sad for such a large company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Employees get paid week and closed on Sundays.

Cons

Not enough personal time to spend with family and you have the beg and plead to take vacation when you need it. Company has no intent to provide quality family time for its coworkers even though they claim to provide a quality of life for employees.

Management needs to figure out a way to provide a better quality of life for the field employees.

Challenging, eye opening, busy and full of opportunities to learn how to relate to people on a daily basis.

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Madison, WI

Pros

(I actually worked at Get it Now, the Wisconsin version of Get it Now, which is owned by Rent a Center but operated a little differently). I liked being challenged to think on my feet and needing to learn how to treat each person equally and without favoritism. I liked the dynamic changing environment of being in the office for part of the day and out in the truck knocking on customer's doors the rest of the day. I needed to learn how to interact with each person in their process and at their level. I had to learn how to treat people with kindness while holding them accountable to their word about their payments. I also lucked out and had great management that provided feedback on things to say and what not to say that could either help people or push them away. I learned to be a wordsmith and advocate for the customer while helping the business as well.

Bonuses are also nice if you make your numbers.

We have good discounts on an employee purchase plan (cost + 15%).

Cons

The long hours and the few sick days make having quality social and family time OUTSIDE of work very difficult. We work typically 45-50 hour work weeks and aren't allowed any personal time (except 2 sick days per year). Asking time off is often discouraged even if its months ahead of time. Additionally, if you happen to be sick longer than your yearly 2 day allowance, it is unexcused, even if you are throwing up at work and getting everyone else sick. On a positive side, if you make your numbers by friday night, we were allowed to leave early on Saturday.

Find ways of giving employees more time off and more sick time. Rotate weekends. Donate more than $15 per person for the christmas party.

There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!