There are newer employer reviews for Rentrak

Working at Rentrak is exhilarating and challenging.

I have been working at Rentrak

Pros

It's an exciting company "inventing new science" in audience measurement. I get to work with many smart, engaged, enthusiastic people every day.

Cons

We are faced with many marketplace pressures and have to work above and beyond to get the job done. Prioritization can be a challenge.

27 Other Employee Reviews for Rentrak (View Most Recent)

A lot of potential if New York can build bridges to Portland

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Rentrak full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Talented and friendly people in the ranks

Good access to leadership in many groups

Potential to work with Big Data

Three weeks of PTO plus winter holiday week

Cons

Over-emphasis on needs of high-level executives while skimping on simple needs of most employees (high-value engineers are the exception):
    - Fairly poor benefits outside of Portland; other offices do not have anywhere near the same perks
    - Lack of flexible workplace policy (flex time; work-from-home)

Company struggling to keep up with its own growth

Technology outdated and skimpy, from infrastructure to databases

Too much focus on sales and the stock price undermines the foundational work that the non-executives pound out. Find a way to share your vision and inspire those of us without executive compensation and perquisites. Bridge the gap between sales and the rest of the company, between executives and everyone else, and between New York and elsewhere. It's a decent company with a good legacy. You have the chance to make it a great company if you care.

Big Improvements in last couple years

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Rentrak full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are plenty of interesting problems to work on. While it will depend on the department, the company is interested in updating its substantial amount of legacy code to use new technologies. There are many talented people working here, and the management of the technology department is very open to input from the rank and file. The atmosphere is very collegial, with an emphasis on collaboration and spreading knowledge. In 2012 I was considering quitting due to problems with IT management, but since then there has been a big turnaround that has made all the difference for my quality of life at work.

Cons

Sometimes sales is overzealous and sells a feature without consulting the engineering department, resulting in a sudden shift in priorities and compromises on the design quality and/or work/life balance. The CEO is a sales guy who often comes across as tone-deaf to the concerns of the rank-and-file.

There are newer employer reviews for Rentrak