Diamond in the rough.

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Current Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Republic Services

Pros

Some really good people work here. A good diverse mix. People with alot of experience and drive to acheive more for the company and themselves. In this division the employees are a true "workforce". We do recieve Safety vest and gloves when we need them. And hats if they have them. Every now and then there's a cookout when we're done with our route. On doubledays there's pizza waiting for us when we get in from our route.

Cons

Rewards are thin. Praise for good work also trim. Pay does not match that of other companies that have smaller zones. Every now and then we are given speeches telling us how thankful we should be to have a job in this economy- and- if we don't like it here- there's the gate. Slim chance of getting training in front load or roll off- alot of hiring of outside. Not much of bonus system- a $25 gift card at Thanksgiving and Christmas and a $10 on your birthday. At Christmas there is a raffle for items such as dvd players to iPods etc. Rainsuits and Jackets are given out as Safety Rewards. Lack of Leadership Skills from frontline supervisors on how to relate to employees. The employees know the money saved goes to Managements bonuses. COLA is based on merit- 1%-5% based on merit-- No other raise given through the year. Being told that Chrismas gifts can be bought at Family Dollar because money is tight. It's true- just doesn't sound like a thing a Supervisor should say at a morning meeting.

Take a look at this Division and how employees are treated. Profit is good but there are people on the back and behind the wheels and behind the desks of this Division that has families and deserve respect.

Other Reviews for Republic Services

RSG - Where people are a commodity, and long-term strategic focus is nil.

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Republic Services

Pros

Compensation is somewhat in line with competition.
    Bonus, if actually achievable, is generous. Although 50% of 0 is still 0.

Cons

Company is highly centralized, be it on a Corporate or Regional level. Very little is controlled by the local markets.
    RSG loves standards, employees can take very little action, must be within the standards.

Talk is cheap, actually put the what your saying into action.
    Put your people first, and realize your best players are in the field; not at the region or corporate level.
    Empower employees locally, then hold them accountable for their actions.

Could Be Better...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Republic Services

Pros

A small and relaxed working environment. Although there are departmental conflicts, within each department is a "family" who values and respects their counterparts. For the most part, management is helpful, competent, and deserving of their positions. Area, Regional, and Corporate Management is dedicated to making the best company possible. There are many times that you will be proud to work there due to customer satisfaction, communtiy involvement, and service standards.

Cons

The animosity between departments creates a tense workplace. There are certain managers who are legends in their own mind and use unprofessional actions, lies, and bad-mouthing other depts/managers to enhance their own self image. These managers, specifically one who likes to hear himself talk, are not very well-liked in the company due to their unprofessional standards, failing departments, and lack of managerial skills. Cutting down other employees and using unapplicable mottos does not constitute effective managing and employee inspiration. There are some departments within the division that are over-worked and are poorly paid while another department is seemingly idle all day and receives regular recognition for other peoples' work. The lack of team spirit and work ethic of some people will frustrate you. As an employee for many years, it is disheartening to see the downward direction of the division in recent times.

My advice would be to take a closer look at each department and cut those managers and employees that are not worth the work they produce. Realize that the hard-working employees are why the division has been so successful and the future without them is dramatically different.

There are newer employer reviews for Republic Services.

Worked for Republic Services? Contribute to the Community!