Out of touch

Former Employee - Accounting in Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Accounting in Louisville, KY

I worked at ResCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

location and ease of access

Cons

Everything else but the location is bad

Advice to Management

connect more with your employees

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Management does not care about employee or patient health

I worked at ResCare (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, friendly co-workers. Very rewarding, as patients are excited and glad when you come to see them. Provides employee with great sense of doing something good, and greatly needed for others.

Cons

This company gives the impression that it only cares about making money. Long work hours for little pay or compensation for driving all over cities and the countryside. Do not provide full care for positive TB skin tests of employee, which is unheard of in the health industry.

Advice to Management

Follow your policies,even if they cost money. Treasure your hard workers that the patient's love, it is what your business is supposed to be about "care".

Initially nice until reality settles

Current Employee - Support Associate in Saint Clairsville, OH
    Current Employee - Support Associate in Saint Clairsville, OH

I have been working at ResCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great interaction with consumers, can be laid back @ times, expect the unexpected, experience that you'll never forget. LISTEN ... You CAN advance with this company if you are a good worker and have a good head on your shoulder!!!! Common sense and being respectful go a long way toward being considered for a management position. You may need to express your desire to advance to get the attention, so do this even before applying for better positions.

Cons

Understaffed! A major unraveling between direct care staff & management. Reliable workers are overused, stressed, under appreciated, under paid, and very often disrespected. Lacks professionalism when addressing workers -- i.e. workers must be subservient and be able to be continually chided while the positive things they do are seldom acknowledged. Actually, you more often than not are told what you are doing wrong rather than right & trust me, you'll do a LOT wrong & very often it is because of a change you were never notified of because you were told something different from another or former supervisor.

Generally - if there is a staff meeting ... it will be very negative, you'll fear losing your job. Once our supervisor told staff during a meeting we were lucky to even have a job in this economy, however, considering that in many areas ResCare starts at or around minimum wage that is not necessarily an accurate statement not to mention, it caused workers to not feel valued). Workers are often called out during meetings rather than in private. This can be somewhat understood when you realize that the office workers and managers have an amazing amount of work that it become obvious as to why they are terse with their staff. Trust me, they are stressed and often at their breaking point. Often, one office worker does the work of 3 people! SO there is a huge lack of professionalism in the way management treats direct care. It's wrong and no warranted but I think some of these supervisors are not happy.

Expect to be called on your days off either to come to work or to discuss a problem.

Insurance is very high and likely you will not be able to live on your income if you buy into the insurance they offer.

Raises are often non existent or verrrrry low. Christmas bonuses? Once upon a time we had turkey or ham or a $20 gift card. Nice, I suppose, and made a small dent during the holiday season finances but eventually even that changed as one year they gave us (for real) a $5.00 Walmart gift card. Some workers were so insulted they sent the cards back.
    My last few years with the company there were no Holiday bonuses - fine and dandy as this really is the least concern.

Very often, supervisors contradict the very things they tell you to do. I have also witnessed supervisors avoiding getting into trouble by putting the blame on staff under them (and it's been very deceptive). What can you say? People will do almost anything to not lose their job even if that means hurting others.

The paper work is ever increasing. I understand paper work is a must in this field but at times I spent 2 hours during my shift completing finances for a small house and this doesn't take into account documentation for each client ... and of course doing all the things you are supposed to do with the clients.

ResCare has a great idea and foundation. The "ideal" is awesome but the way things are really carried out with this company is not that great. It's all about money.

Advice to Management

Wow! Simply realize that most workers can see when you lack professionalism in the way you interact with them. They may have less education, may not seem as proper and formal but yet they still have a sense of right and wrong in how they are treated and viewed.