There are newer employer reviews for Restoration Hardware

Restoration Hardware has got your back!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Resto is a company firmly rooted upon an amazing set of values that every employee wants to live by everyday. The Leadership at the Flatiron gallery takes a regular interest in my professional and personal development and believes in my potential. As a Sales Associate, I am given the tools and resources to build and nurture meaningful relationships with clients.

Questions and opinions from all associates are encouraged by the Leadership, accepted by the team and shared with the company.

Cons

You are your own boss. There is no corporate ladder to ascend, so if you need to be given direction or lack the vision to be a game-changer this is probably not the place for you.

Keep on inspiring.

reviews filtered by

Disappointed in "core values" and mis-representation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time (more than a year)

Pros

For the most part the people are fun to be around. The stores look good and have "pretty" product.

Cons

Company constantly changes and has so many inconsistancies. Don't bother to actually live by the "core values" the company has, no one else does and power hungry management is majority. Poor delivery companies, stuff always arrives broken and wrong.

Finally a good sign as CEO Friedman is forced to step down. He's not a business person but a dreamer.

Corporate campus: It was a depressing, cult like environment where abusive "leaders" reigned supreme.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked on some interesting projects. Liked the creative aesthetic. Met some really wonderful people, who are no longer there. Sample sales were fun and the only real reward for my time spent there.

Cons

I had a hard time giving Resto one star because it was the worst experience of my 20 yr career. They deserve a zero.

I put up with an extremely toxic and abusive boss. In our department, there was an overwhelming amount of work and unrealistic expectations (even for a type A master juggler). I'm not referring to having to pull a 12 hour day once and a while, but an environment where all sensibility seemed out of whack. Working at Resto meant giving up any sense of a personal or family life. There was no respect for, or boundries honored, for weekends or vacation time. To add insult to injury, we had a boss that would toss you under the bus at a moment's notice, slander you when you were out of the office, fly off the handle, make insulting and unprofessional remarks and in general was very difficult to work with. It was like dealing with a crazy person.

I witnessed a lot of politics and bad behavior (mostly by our leader, but also by others)... Behavior that was extremely unprofessional, shameful and embarrassing. There was a heads-down, solemn atmosphere where people were afraid to be candid. There was no energy or vitality and no genuine sense of collaboration among teams. In general, the place was depressing, sad and stressful to the point of making a person physically ill.

More than a few people have written me to say they were (or are) getting sick from the stress and have either left or plan to. What is significant is that they have left without having another job in a lack-luster economy. It is that bad.

They have lost a lot of talent on the corporate campus due to attrition. The leadership team seems too self absorbed to notice the brain drain going on. The message perceived is that they do not care.

There is a cult like clan in the inner circle worshiping GF. The leadership talks about core values, but they have no clue that the culture does not align to them at the home office.

Although GF loves to quote famous people in an effort to either inspire or show off, he comes across as superficial, arrogant and egotistical. When I was there, there was a tremendous amount of financial waste. They could not make a decision and would spend all kinds of money re-executing at the last minute. There is an extremely lack of communication, process, and strategic planning. The place was always in chaos and there was no support for putting the right resources in place.

Carlos Alberini (who is now the sole CEO since GF was asked to resign by the board) seems like a talented, competent and genuinely honest leader. He seems out of place however at Resto -- Where several of the top leaders seem shallow, superficial, lacking in emotional intelligence, and incapable of making decisions. I'm not sure how effective he will be at changing the culture.

Benefits are not great. No 401K match. I think they pay well, but the experience is not worth it. My pov... Life is too short. There are too many wonderful companies and great teams to be apart of. So glad I moved on and put the Resto experience behind me.

The HR department and the senior leadership team seems to be asleep at the wheel when it comes to their Corporate campus culture. So, take the pulse and work on building collaborative and energetic teams. Find out who the incompetent and abusive managers are because there are some that are ruining the place, not to mention they pose a liability!

There are newer employer reviews for Restoration Hardware