Restoration Hardware

www.restorationhardware.com

Corporate campus: It was a depressing, cult like environment where abusive "leaders" reigned supreme.

(Former Employee) Corte Madera, CA

ProsWorked on some interesting projects. Liked the creative aesthetic. Met some really wonderful people, who are no longer there. Sample sales were fun and the only real reward for my time spent there.

ConsI had a hard time giving Resto one star because it was the worst experience of my 20 yr career. They deserve a zero.

I put up with an extremely toxic and abusive boss. In our department, there was an overwhelming amount of work and unrealistic expectations (even for a type A master juggler). I'm not referring to having to pull a 12 hour day once and a while, but an environment where all sensibility seemed out of whack. Working at Resto meant giving up any sense of a personal or family life. There was no respect for, or boundries honored, for weekends or vacation time. To add insult to injury, we had a boss that would toss you under the bus at a moment's notice, slander you when you were out of the office, fly off the handle, make insulting and unprofessional remarks and in general was very difficult to work with. It was like dealing with a crazy person.

I witnessed a lot of politics and bad behavior (mostly by our leader, but also by others)... Behavior that was extremely unprofessional, shameful and embarrassing. There was a heads-down, solemn atmosphere where people were afraid to be candid. There was no energy or vitality and no genuine sense of collaboration among teams. In general, the place was depressing, sad and stressful to the point of making a person physically ill.

More than a few people have written me to say they were (or are) getting sick from the stress and have either left or plan to. What is significant is that they have left without having another job in a lack-luster economy. It is that bad.

They have lost a lot of talent on the corporate campus due to attrition. The leadership team seems too self absorbed to notice the brain drain going on. The message perceived is that they do not care.

There is a cult like clan in the inner circle worshiping GF. The leadership talks about core values, but they have no clue that the culture does not align to them at the home office.

Although GF loves to quote famous people in an effort to either inspire or show off, he comes across as superficial, arrogant and egotistical. When I was there, there was a tremendous amount of financial waste. They could not make a decision and would spend all kinds of money re-executing at the last minute. There is an extremely lack of communication, process, and strategic planning. The place was always in chaos and there was no support for putting the right resources in place.

Carlos Alberini (who is now the sole CEO since GF was asked to resign by the board) seems like a talented, competent and genuinely honest leader. He seems out of place however at Resto -- Where several of the top leaders seem shallow, superficial, lacking in emotional intelligence, and incapable of making decisions. I'm not sure how effective he will be at changing the culture.

Benefits are not great. No 401K match. I think they pay well, but the experience is not worth it. My pov... Life is too short. There are too many wonderful companies and great teams to be apart of. So glad I moved on and put the Resto experience behind me.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe HR department and the senior leadership team seems to be asleep at the wheel when it comes to their Corporate campus culture. So, take the pulse and work on building collaborative and energetic teams. Find out who the incompetent and abusive managers are because there are some that are ruining the place, not to mention they pose a liability!

A good employer to have on your resume, but zero growth and benefits

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros: Restoration Hardware is a force within the San Francisco Bay Area retail industry. There are only so many, so to be working at a place… Cons: There are no growth opportunities. Applying for jobs within the company is an awkward process that alienates you from your manager and team. And if… Advice to Senior Management: Make this as great of a place to work as you state in your values. And if you… More

may be hit or miss depending on your group

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware

Pros: - close to San Francisco - product line doing well and… Cons: - cultish corporate culture, e.g., company wide core values and institutionalized… Advice to Senior Management: - promote within - consider employee training practices No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Restoration Hardware.

Worked for Restoration Hardware? Contribute to the Community!