Restoration Hardware

www.restorationhardware.com
  www.restorationhardware.com
There are newer employer reviews for Restoration Hardware

Corporate campus: It was a depressing, cult like environment where abusive "leaders" reigned supreme.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked on some interesting projects. Liked the creative aesthetic. Met some really wonderful people, who are no longer there. Sample sales were fun and the only real reward for my time spent there.

Cons

I had a hard time giving Resto one star because it was the worst experience of my 20 yr career. They deserve a zero.

I put up with an extremely toxic and abusive boss. In our department, there was an overwhelming amount of work and unrealistic expectations (even for a type A master juggler). I'm not referring to having to pull a 12 hour day once and a while, but an environment where all sensibility seemed out of whack. Working at Resto meant giving up any sense of a personal or family life. There was no respect for, or boundries honored, for weekends or vacation time. To add insult to injury, we had a boss that would toss you under the bus at a moment's notice, slander you when you were out of the office, fly off the handle, make insulting and unprofessional remarks and in general was very difficult to work with. It was like dealing with a crazy person.

I witnessed a lot of politics and bad behavior (mostly by our leader, but also by others)... Behavior that was extremely unprofessional, shameful and embarrassing. There was a heads-down, solemn atmosphere where people were afraid to be candid. There was no energy or vitality and no genuine sense of collaboration among teams. In general, the place was depressing, sad and stressful to the point of making a person physically ill.

More than a few people have written me to say they were (or are) getting sick from the stress and have either left or plan to. What is significant is that they have left without having another job in a lack-luster economy. It is that bad.

They have lost a lot of talent on the corporate campus due to attrition. The leadership team seems too self absorbed to notice the brain drain going on. The message perceived is that they do not care.

There is a cult like clan in the inner circle worshiping GF. The leadership talks about core values, but they have no clue that the culture does not align to them at the home office.

Although GF loves to quote famous people in an effort to either inspire or show off, he comes across as superficial, arrogant and egotistical. When I was there, there was a tremendous amount of financial waste. They could not make a decision and would spend all kinds of money re-executing at the last minute. There is an extremely lack of communication, process, and strategic planning. The place was always in chaos and there was no support for putting the right resources in place.

Carlos Alberini (who is now the sole CEO since GF was asked to resign by the board) seems like a talented, competent and genuinely honest leader. He seems out of place however at Resto -- Where several of the top leaders seem shallow, superficial, lacking in emotional intelligence, and incapable of making decisions. I'm not sure how effective he will be at changing the culture.

Benefits are not great. No 401K match. I think they pay well, but the experience is not worth it. My pov... Life is too short. There are too many wonderful companies and great teams to be apart of. So glad I moved on and put the Resto experience behind me.

The HR department and the senior leadership team seems to be asleep at the wheel when it comes to their Corporate campus culture. So, take the pulse and work on building collaborative and energetic teams. Find out who the incompetent and abusive managers are because there are some that are ruining the place, not to mention they pose a liability!

217 Other Employee Reviews for Restoration Hardware (View Most Recent)

Toxic work environment and incompetent leaders

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

Sample sales, anyone below the level of director were really good to work with, amazing products and decent pay.

Cons

If you like working for uninspiring and incompetent leaders who only care about how high up the ladder they can reach...than this is place for you!

Most of the leaders lack the basic knowledge of how to do their jobs which will make you wonder if any of them really went to college and their level of incompetence will also cause you to constantly muttering the phrase "Really, you really want me to do that!?" Trust me, it happens more times than you would think. For example, I had to plan my department's budget on several occasions because my boss didn't know how to do basic math. They don't care about their employees and the core values are constantly thrown in your face if you ever question them. Decisions are constantly changed at the last hour and as a result you're always doubling your efforts on projects, which is why the average work day is 10-12 hours.

A work life balance is non-existant and the frequency of people suffering from stress related illnesses have gone up in the past couple of years. Because of that the turnover rate is extremely high and many talented people have left the company–some have even quit without finding a new job and currently the company is having a hard time filling positions because of their reputation for burning out people.

Do some serious house cleaning and restructuring. Restoration Hardware can become a great company to work at with the right people at the helm.

A good employer to have on your resume, but zero growth and benefits

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Restoration Hardware is a force within the San Francisco Bay Area retail industry. There are only so many, so to be working at a place with such a recognizable name is a bonus.

Also, employees have the perk of a discount and occasional sample sales, which are a great way to get employees together in the same room. (It doesn't happen often)

Cons

There are no growth opportunities. Applying for jobs within the company is an awkward process that alienates you from your manager and team. And if you don't get the job? You can say goodbye to your raise and a nice yearly review.

The company moves fast, erratically, without a real sense of purpose and direction. It's all at the whim of an impulsive CEO. (Believe me, the other reviews do not exaggerate.) It's incredibly frustrating to always be months behind schedule because senior management cannot come to a decision, and be the brunt of customers' anger when things do not go right and the product falls apart.

To be clear: There is ZERO employee culture. There are no get-togethers, there is no break room, there is no team-wide introduction and no training program whatsoever. Yes, that means if your job is to run a report on a program that only Restoration Hardware uses, then there is no way to build upon the skills you learn while on the job. If this is what you are looking for, then this may be good for you. The company lives by core values that must be repeated at each major department meeting but no one follows them.

Make this as great of a place to work as you state in your values. And if you can't, then don't mislead people into thinking they're joining a company where they can actually grow their careers.

There are newer employer reviews for Restoration Hardware