Restoration Hardware

www.restorationhardware.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Restoration Hardware

Toxic work environment and incompetent leaders

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

Sample sales, anyone below the level of director were really good to work with, amazing products and decent pay.

Cons

If you like working for uninspiring and incompetent leaders who only care about how high up the ladder they can reach...than this is place for you!

Most of the leaders lack the basic knowledge of how to do their jobs which will make you wonder if any of them really went to college and their level of incompetence will also cause you to constantly muttering the phrase "Really, you really want me to do that!?" Trust me, it happens more times than you would think. For example, I had to plan my department's budget on several occasions because my boss didn't know how to do basic math. They don't care about their employees and the core values are constantly thrown in your face if you ever question them. Decisions are constantly changed at the last hour and as a result you're always doubling your efforts on projects, which is why the average work day is 10-12 hours.

A work life balance is non-existant and the frequency of people suffering from stress related illnesses have gone up in the past couple of years. Because of that the turnover rate is extremely high and many talented people have left the company–some have even quit without finding a new job and currently the company is having a hard time filling positions because of their reputation for burning out people.

Do some serious house cleaning and restructuring. Restoration Hardware can become a great company to work at with the right people at the helm.

237 Other Employee Reviews for Restoration Hardware (View Most Recent)

A good employer to have on your resume, but zero growth and benefits

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Restoration Hardware is a force within the San Francisco Bay Area retail industry. There are only so many, so to be working at a place with such a recognizable name is a bonus.

Also, employees have the perk of a discount and occasional sample sales, which are a great way to get employees together in the same room. (It doesn't happen often)

Cons

There are no growth opportunities. Applying for jobs within the company is an awkward process that alienates you from your manager and team. And if you don't get the job? You can say goodbye to your raise and a nice yearly review.

The company moves fast, erratically, without a real sense of purpose and direction. It's all at the whim of an impulsive CEO. (Believe me, the other reviews do not exaggerate.) It's incredibly frustrating to always be months behind schedule because senior management cannot come to a decision, and be the brunt of customers' anger when things do not go right and the product falls apart.

To be clear: There is ZERO employee culture. There are no get-togethers, there is no break room, there is no team-wide introduction and no training program whatsoever. Yes, that means if your job is to run a report on a program that only Restoration Hardware uses, then there is no way to build upon the skills you learn while on the job. If this is what you are looking for, then this may be good for you. The company lives by core values that must be repeated at each major department meeting but no one follows them.

Make this as great of a place to work as you state in your values. And if you can't, then don't mislead people into thinking they're joining a company where they can actually grow their careers.

Typical Call Center Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tracy, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tracy, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Good pay for the area. Good benefits. 40% employee discount on Restoration Hardware merchandise. Convenient location for those who live in the central valley.

Cons

Outdated computer programs. I have no idea how some of the people running this place became managers. There is a high turnaround rate which leads to under staffing.

I've seen some favoritism occur when promotions were involved and this of course leads to inefficient management. Pay more attention to who is actually doing the work.

There are newer employer reviews for Restoration Hardware