Retail Business Development

www.retailbusinessdevelopment.com
  www.retailbusinessdevelopment.com
There are newer employer reviews for Retail Business Development

Awesome People, BREAKNECK Speed

I have been working at Retail Business Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for RBD has been a growing experience. I want to be careful that I don't make it sound like everything has been GREAT and I've had nothing but glowing experiences, because there have been times I've been frustrated (like every other job), but I *can* say that working for a company that's expanding so fast that you can see it work through its growing pains and come out the other side better than it was at the beginning is pretty cool, especially when you're part of it. The company is (relatively) young and hungry, and I like the fact that if you want to offer a suggestion or discuss an issue, people that have the authority to make decisions are easy to get in touch with and are eager to lend an ear to your concerns; there's no red tape to go through just to find somebody that will listen. I like being able to contribute in ways that produce *real* results that you can watch happen before your eyes.

The people that work there--at least the ones that care about working there--are amazing and some of us even hang out after work. It's a laid back environment (socially speaking) and everyone has a great sense of humor, which makes it easier to get through the day. My coworkers can take their frustrations and stresses and make them petty minutia, and even hilarious in the right circumstances.

Cons

Growing so fast can be a daunting thing to deal with. Most companies can ease into best practices and "the right way" as things progress over time, whereas we have to SLAM into the right way head-on at RBD because we don't have time for anything else. Some people can't handle it or get mortified at the pace at which things change, but I like viewing it as a challenge to "overcome" rather than get scared and run away with my tail between my legs.

I don't usually write positive reviews... Really, who does write positive reviews, unless it's for a restaurant or a movie? I happened to see a few negative reviews when I searched online, and I found very few positive ones. I felt that it was wrong to leave everyone with that bad taste in their mouth. It's not a bad place, people just write bad reviews when they're salty, and they write nothing otherwise.

There needs to be a more realistic perspective on what jobs entail before hiring someone. When I see ads for RBD job opportunities online, they're all rainbows and unicorns, and that's not the way it is... I'm sure the ads are written with good intentions in order to get people hired, but people go into their jobs expecting rainbows and unicorns because that's what's advertised. My advice is to be BRUTALLY HONEST about what each job entails (people can handle it!) in order to get the right people, rather than the people that were EXPECTING rainbows and unicorns from the outset because that's what they were promised.

30 Other Employee Reviews for Retail Business Development (View Most Recent)

Not a company to work for long-term. Good for quick part-time job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in El Paso, TX

I worked at Retail Business Development part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Depending on product you have to sell, you can receive sales-based commission.

Cons

Manager has to oversell job, it is true they pay a base-salary plus commission, but manager will let you go if you don't sell. I sold products for Vonage VoIP; Products are hard to sell since the market for home phones is very scarce. You have to market to low-income families, and mislead them at times. Long-distance plans are cheap the first months, then the price increases substantially, if the customer returns the product you do not get the commission for the sale.

Do not mislead employees in regards to sales-based commission. Do better market research and place employees in areas where they are better suited to succeed and sell.

Deserves Negative Stars

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Retail Business Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was promoted to territory manager during my first month of working which allowed me access to a better job somewhere else.

Cons

By far the most unprofessional company i have ever worked for. Started off as a sales rep selling Vonage at a Walmart and within a month i was promoted. The way things are run is obscene. The company never paid me for my work as a Territory Leader and human resources has yet to sign off on 120 hours of work that i put in. My advice for anyone who is offered a job here is make sure the location you're working at is walking distance so you don't waste money on gas or a bus. Checks are always late because they refuse to implement direct deposit and commissions are always late or not complete. Also continue looking for a better job if you're hired here. One of the worst company's to work for and by far the worst company I've ever worked for.

None considering they're already at their worst with no hope for improvement

There are newer employer reviews for Retail Business Development