Delusional Management, Dismal Atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like to work in a grade school like environment where you're not welcome in the Teacher's Lounge, this is the place for you.

Cons

Leadership's overall lack of experience in their rolls shows, which they try to cover with arrogance and condescension. If you're not "in" their club, then you're not important enough to deal with. They don't acknowledge or accept contrary opinions. The teacher/student-style relationship they have with employees is a hold over from when the company was Inland Western, part of Inland Real Estate Group, prior to March 2012. Don't count on advancement or decent pay, especially if you're female.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "leaders" who are woefully deficient in their positions. Everyone knows who they are. Experienced, knowledgeable management is desperately needed.

Other Employee Reviews for Retail Properties of America

1. Great company

Pros

Great concept, passionate employees and great management.

Cons

I have to drive and not take public transportation

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Dedicated to Forward-Thinking Real Estate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been fortunate enough to be a part of the RPAI team for over eight years. During my time with the Company, I have worked alongside nearly every discipline on various projects. One of the greatest benefits to working at RPAI is that projects are rarely task driven. Nearly every team member is willing to provide details to help me better understand the information that I am preparing, and how it directly impacts the business, and the messaging that we are providing to external audiences. I also feel that the Executive Management Team has made a significant effort to increase collaboration, develop opportunities to connect with fellow team members, and is constantly going above and beyond to acknowledge hard work in various forms of recognition.

Cons

RPAI offers a very strong total compensation program. However, I would like to see additional opportunities for continuing education and training.

Advice to Management

The Executive Management Team always has its people in mind. I feel that the team is rarely thanked for all that they do for RPAI team members. From Jeans Day Fridays, giveaways, holiday gifts, luncheons, etc., the Executive Management Team is always looking out for its team. While I know it is a challenging, I would love to have the opportunity to connect with our team members in our regional offices on a regular basis.