RetailMeNot

www.retailmenot.com

Great company, but certainly not perfect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

WhaleShark really takes care (the word 'pamper' might actually be more appropriate) of its employees. As former posts have already stated, the perks are countless: catered food, massages, lavish parties, extravagant giveaways/prizes (i.e., brand new fiat, $20K costco runs), unlimited PTO, transparency, autonomy, getting to work with some of the brightest people in the industry, reimbursed mobile bill/gym membership, downtown location, etc. etc. etc.

Cons

~Not much opportunity for upward mobility as they prefer to hire someone externally for leadership positions.
~Usually nepotistic in their hiring approach, which can sometimes get frustrating as it creates 'cliques' and visible favorism towards certain people
~Pay is lower than industry average, aside from engineering positions/leadership positions
~Engineering department favored while other departments are treated as disposables
~Favoritism in general runs rampant without repercussions; this leads to unfair treatment of employees as decisions are arbitrary when deciding if something is acceptable or not

It's perfectly understandable that you will have favorites, but concealing it would be most appreciated.

Other reviews for RetailMeNot

Great people, fun place to work, and many opportunities for individual growth.

Current Employee - Site Operations Coordinator  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Site Operations Coordinator in Austin, TX

Pros

The people at WhaleShark are what I look forward to the most when going to work. I have really enjoyed working with my team and others from different departments. Our recruiting team has done a fantastic job hiring highly motivated and cultured people.

Our company wide meetings keep me informed of our performance and success as we continue to quickly grow. These meetings allow me to see how my work contributes to the overall growth of the company.

The open kitchen and catered meals keep me energized and ready to work. The company parties are a lot of fun and a great opportunity to meet people from all over the company.

Cons

When working with fun and amazing people, it can sometimes be hard not to have too much fun, but I don't mind since these people are the reason why I love working at WhaleShark!

I really support the focus on company transparency. Some of the best ideas may come from anyone in the company and I really appreciate that management is approachable and always willing to listen to our feedback. Keep up the good work!

Would not recommend

Former Employee - Accounts  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts in Austin, TX

Pros

A fun place to work with a good environment and location. The office itself is nice and work load is not too severe.

Cons

It is very cultish here. Everyone considers themselves to be the brightest people, though few actually are, and that arrogance binds everybody. It's very strange. I'd say the intelligence level at WS is average but thinks much higher. The HR department is really poor, so good luck with the interview process. I hated it, but guess it worked out in the end.

Better hiring practices and better HR.

There are newer employer reviews for RetailMeNot.

Worked for RetailMeNot? Contribute to the Community!