There are newer employer reviews for Retroscreen Virology

Challenging, fast paced, multi-directional - without strong leadership

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Retroscreen Virology as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I came to Retroscreen because I thought they were pioneering, (even in the knowledge the salary and benefits were not great). However in reality.. there is alot of talk and also a lack of what is going on in the real world, both internally and externally. There product is not unique, they now have competitors.
There are some good people, who are helpful and forthcoming and passionate ( Management take note)
Apologies as difficult to provide more 'PROS'.

Cons

The company is driving a number of initiatives ( not well thought out) in a number of different directions. So expect to be pulled or pushed different ways. So expect your role to change, and or be made redundant. There is no such thing as security and you definitely do not come to Retroscreen for that.
High turnaround of staff and a number of restructures and redundancies have taken place from the inception of this company.
Most of the senior management are independent consultants and there are too many egos, who lack people management skills and ability to engage with staff at across senior management (lack of joined up thinking) and lower levels. . But why should they? 1. They already know it all. 2. They earn £100K + in contract pay, and therefore have no personal interest or risk in seeing Retroscreen succeed. 3. They have taken no risk
There is fundamental lack of socialising within Retroscreen - do not expect summer or christmas parties.
Yes some good people, friendly enough

Listen to staff of course - every good manager does. If you are going to make company wide announcements, have everyone meet in person in a central location, talk face to face. Stop using scripts and pre-recorded messages (very poor judgement).
To the CEO - Focus on investors, we all know we require investment, bring in another senior manager to manage the operations of the company and bring the senior management and businesses aligned.
Manage nepotism and have a clearer demarcation between business and personal life, it has been observed that there is a bias of expenditure is being made to areas of the business where one personal loyalties lie.
Bring on board senior managers on a permanent basis those that want to work for Retroscreen, who have passion and drive to see success and can work together. It is a very foretelling when the senior management wish to remain in contracts rather than join permanently.
Senior managers, no one doubts your competency, but put aside ego and work together
Why the urgency and rush to deliver everything against ridiculous tight deadlines, which ultimately means the finished product is poor quality. I see an ethos to deliver everything against unrealistic deadlines at the detriment of staff and cost.
Invest in raising profile of Retroscreen in order to gain new business and dismiss competitors.
The HR function have a 'work in a bubble' culture and are completely disassociated from staff.. I have never seen such segregation before.
Recognise that those commenting on Glass Door actually what to see changes for the better and are using this media because senior management fail to talk or listen to staff
Treat your full time employees with respect, trust and professionalism they are due,, unlike senior management they have taken the risk to join Retroscreen on a permanent basis.
Are contractors always going to make genuine decisions for the better good of the company and or make decisions that benefit themselves because it maintains them in a longer term contract??

reviews filtered by

Full of inexperienced people

I have been working at Retroscreen Virology

Pros

You will get to learn fast as you are given no training therefore you are forced to just get on with it. ( but you will also get blamed if you do not know something or things go wrong even though you had no training)

Cons

In most companies you get promoted because you are skilled but at retroscreen you either get promoted if you are sleeping with someone in the senior management or if you are just liked I.e. favouritism.

You will deal with senior management who have no clue about anything.

The little moral you have will be gone if you are at retroscreen.

Big titles are given to staff who have no experience.

CEO to actually look into this and get rid of majority of the senior management team.

Maybe read people's exit interviews. You have a HR department with no power and staff know about this therefore never bother to raise anything.

Car crash..

Current Employee - Administrative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Retroscreen Virology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn lots!

You will learn lots by experiencing first hand a business that has no business plan & very poor leadership! Believe me, however long your stay at Retroscreen is you will learn plenty!

Cons

Senior management is very weak, the abundance of Consultants on staff are testament to this!

Huge amounts of money wasted on poorly defined initiatives.

The HR Department has the highest staff turn over in the business, that speaks volumes about Retroscreen!

There has never been a business plan shared with the staff.

Nepotism! It's been mentioned in other reviews, it's very bad! I'm surprised the shareholders haven't stepped in yet!

There has been multiple restructuring exercises during my tenure, some have led to redundancies.

The wages are way below market rate (NHS level without the benefits package).

My advice would be to the shareholders, step in & sort this company out or watch it go down the drain!

There are newer employer reviews for Retroscreen Virology