Aggressive and over working company. If you think you can work at 110%

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rexnord full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you think you can work at 110% all day every day you'll fit in great with upper management and corporate who believes you can do better with less.

Employes will be worked and rewards will be saved until you work some more then diverted to support someone's failure, termination, forced early retirement, or accelerated change in company.

Depending on where you are starting in life Rexnord can be an ok step off point. For some this company may fit well with your wants and needs so it deserves a. good look into. It is a medium sized company that's been picked over like a 87 honda civic in a salvage yard by investors and other hedge fund driven Vikings eager for riches.

My advice if looking at Rexnord is to dig into its background and history, turn over some rocks and see the layers in the stone or rings in the tree. Maybe start with the name; Rex and Nordberg to start. Rexnord has been a Frankenstein of a conglomerate; selling of divisions to then later buy new companies. A popular current asset is Falks industrial gear drives well know in Milwaukee and in the industrial mining market. Another asset is their recently acquired water management group. Rexnords history is vast and rich with a range in trials, and failures. Sadly all the achievements seem to be siphoned off to go directly to Private Equity share holders rather than back to production, manufacturing, engineering, etc.

I worked with Rexnord as an engineer supporting the skeleton crew of employes remaining at various facilities. Their product are diverse which can be exciting. Products like, couplings, bearings, gear drives, giant 50 ft gears, micro 1/2 inch gears, armature actuated brakes, flush valves, chains, huge valves, the list goes on.

Cons

Each product fits into a different decision so you want to know which group and products you'll only be working with. Although ideas are encouraged, following the leader and not stepping on toes is crucial.
Although training is a great time to learn the ropes and break new grounds in a job, coorporate rexnord will eat up those with soft skin and a negative response from defiance.

I have no advice to management, it's a hard job when their being pushed or "stretched" as the rexnord business system calls it. There are so many great and useful people that are pushed and stretched by others just trying to run up the ladder.

My real advice is to engineers to keep looking else where. Although there are great mentors at every business unit that could teach you and work with you they are strapped for time. Many you will also find leaving during your duration with the company mostly by choice.

I've seen more turnover of employes leaving here than any other job. There also is an annual layoff that has happened without a hitch to compensate fiscal loses all three years. In fact it was often more often than once a year, depending on the business unit.

For me, it was a great opportunity. I know I could have had a great opportunity somewhere else. But the few engineers and people I met on my travels I wouldn't want to change.

The company though, that I could have gone without.

Other Reviews for Rexnord

Great products and passionate people. I have had a great experience at Rexnord. The job is challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - Manager  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rexnord full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits, Tenured personnel with a lot of experience. More recent desire to bring in new young talent. Also a movement to add strong leadership to the team. A great place for people who want to work hard and develop professionally. Company is well respected in it's markets. There is always room for improvement, but overall a great company. Strong financial growth since going public in 2012.

Cons

Complex internal structure is the result of prior acquisitions. Recent movement to reduce complexity has helped with this. It's not glamorous, but definitely a sound company

Continue to invest in employees to develop internal bench strength. This will provide succession and advancement opportunities.

Corp Supply Chain is a mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rexnord full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary and benefits are good and most regular office people really care and try hard.

Cons

Stay away from the Corp Supply Chain! Since Nov 2013 7 hard working people we're let go for bogus reasons, they then hired 4 more and none lasted longer than 5 weeks. The environment is terrible to work in and can not believe management has not made a leadership change. Much damage has been done since current leadership took control.

Get rid of the supply chain Leadership and rebuild the team and moral.

There are newer employer reviews for Rexnord.

Worked for Rexnord? Contribute to the Community!