There are newer employer reviews for Rexnord

Aggressive and over working company. If you think you can work at 110%

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rexnord full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you think you can work at 110% all day every day you'll fit in great with upper management and corporate who believes you can do better with less.

Employes will be worked and rewards will be saved until you work some more then diverted to support someone's failure, termination, forced early retirement, or accelerated change in company.

Depending on where you are starting in life Rexnord can be an ok step off point. For some this company may fit well with your wants and needs so it deserves a. good look into. It is a medium sized company that's been picked over like a 87 honda civic in a salvage yard by investors and other hedge fund driven Vikings eager for riches.

My advice if looking at Rexnord is to dig into its background and history, turn over some rocks and see the layers in the stone or rings in the tree. Maybe start with the name; Rex and Nordberg to start. Rexnord has been a Frankenstein of a conglomerate; selling of divisions to then later buy new companies. A popular current asset is Falks industrial gear drives well know in Milwaukee and in the industrial mining market. Another asset is their recently acquired water management group. Rexnords history is vast and rich with a range in trials, and failures. Sadly all the achievements seem to be siphoned off to go directly to Private Equity share holders rather than back to production, manufacturing, engineering, etc.

I worked with Rexnord as an engineer supporting the skeleton crew of employes remaining at various facilities. Their product are diverse which can be exciting. Products like, couplings, bearings, gear drives, giant 50 ft gears, micro 1/2 inch gears, armature actuated brakes, flush valves, chains, huge valves, the list goes on.

Cons

Each product fits into a different decision so you want to know which group and products you'll only be working with. Although ideas are encouraged, following the leader and not stepping on toes is crucial.
Although training is a great time to learn the ropes and break new grounds in a job, coorporate rexnord will eat up those with soft skin and a negative response from defiance.

I have no advice to management, it's a hard job when their being pushed or "stretched" as the rexnord business system calls it. There are so many great and useful people that are pushed and stretched by others just trying to run up the ladder.

My real advice is to engineers to keep looking else where. Although there are great mentors at every business unit that could teach you and work with you they are strapped for time. Many you will also find leaving during your duration with the company mostly by choice.

I've seen more turnover of employes leaving here than any other job. There also is an annual layoff that has happened without a hitch to compensate fiscal loses all three years. In fact it was often more often than once a year, depending on the business unit.

For me, it was a great opportunity. I know I could have had a great opportunity somewhere else. But the few engineers and people I met on my travels I wouldn't want to change.

The company though, that I could have gone without.

64 Other Employee Reviews for Rexnord (View Most Recent)

OK

I have been working at Rexnord

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities in the Milwaukee area. The compensation is ok.

Cons

Management requires long office hours as well as the expectation of work to be completed from home.

There's no career paths developed to allow the employees to grow

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rexnord full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Brands are well positioned and have good reputation

Cons

Constant upper management changes which don't allow for projects to grow or development.
    No leadership

Get in touch not only with upper management but also with middle and low levels to build bridges and better mutual understanding

There are newer employer reviews for Rexnord

Worked for Rexnord? Contribute to the Community!