There are newer employer reviews for Reynolds American

Pay is "ok" 60+ hrs/wk; the company seems headed towards MICRO mgmt. as good DMs are headed out & replaced by micro mgrs

Current Employee - Territory Manager III
Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits (i.e. company car, small reimbursement for cell/internet). If you had asked me 1-2 years ago I would have said the pros span across the board: salary, bonus, fun work environment, great work life balance, great perks, great management (DM level), great company (this was during the Susan Ivey era). Since then, the company has gone south, 8am - 7pm work days with no lunch aren't uncommon, "work/life" balance is now "work/work some more" and management spends more time being "yes men" to their higher ups than they do focusing and thinking about implementing ideas that can actually give results.

Cons

Freedom & work/life balance which was a major selling point for working here is gone, company seems to have 0 confidence in reps to do their jobs & have implemented systems to 'keep tabs' on where you are at all times during the day...take a lunch a 11:30 & everyone above you will know. As such most work straight through lunch.

Honor your commitments to us, what happened to transparency? What happened to home/life balance? No one knows our territory's better than us, why do we need 5 different people telling us 5 different things & questioning us on "why is a sign there or there."

IF YOU SAY WE ARE OUR OWN CEO'S, LET US BE OUR OWN CEO'S! Show that you believe in our ability and integrity, and remove "big brother" from our systems; keep it for anything internal but don't allow it to be visible to everyone...I guarantee productivity will continually decline as more and more DM's spend more time watching that clock & our calendars, resulting in more phonecalls from DM's (Why weren't you here at "such & such time" or "why did you take this hour break at this time") these phone calls have become detrimental to productivity! Instead of strict focus on business, reps are more & more concerned with the computer, and every time we have to explain ourselves, it takes away from what we could be doing to improve business! The computer is a "reporting tool" with proper preparation analyzing reports, etc We could easily work without a computer for a week and be more productive by making calls & taking notes on paper.

233 Other Employee Reviews for Reynolds American (View Most Recent)

Great

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great company to work for and lots of perks.

Cons

A lot of change and expectations for every aspect of the job

My RJ Reynolds Experience 5 years

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy Job with decent salary after you put in the time. This job is cake. You pretty much get paid decent to drive around and bs with people.Put up with management once a month and that's it.
    Pretty much have a guaranteed base bonus every year even if you half ass it.
    Company Car, benefits.

Cons

Management is pretty awful. They are all brainwashed into thinking an old way of thinking and they push that on everyone else. Even younger management is brainwashed into it. You will only get promoted if you are in a Urban Market.
    Management preaches 1 thing and expects another.
    They try to make the marketing and sales of tobacco products rocket science.
    No matter how much you grow you assignment and increase market share it does not matter. If you are not on the succession list you will not get a high achieves rating. Getting on succession list only happens if you are in larger market and completely suck some ass.
    Division management really is useless. I am not sure what they're roll is. It is supposed to be to develop and move reps up and ge them promoted but they all act like a babysitter.

Figure it out. I mean really figure it out. Let your reps do their thing. You have hired a ton of smart outgoing fresh out of college students. Don't stifle them or keep them from using their smarts and intelligence.
    Get out of your old way of thinking. Your merchandising tactics are completely out of control. You get an inch and take a mile. You still haven't figured it out yet that merchandising does not sell your product or increase market share. It is probably the least important aspect of the tobacco industry and you treat it like it's the most important/

There are newer employer reviews for Reynolds American

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!