There are newer employer reviews for Reynolds American

It's HOT, but will it all go up in SMOKE?

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Winston-Salem, NC
Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American

Pros

Money is great. Benefits are great. They give you a lot of hope to a bright career. They are very innovative,but oddly everything flops. Bonuses can be great and the vacation time is adequate. They prepare you to take on the world and their information is top notch.

Cons

The hope ends quickly. Management is weak at best. They are constantly changing and most cases its to the betterment of those in the office. This is a market that has been declining for the last 10 years at a rate of 3%, due the math many will not retire here. Number two company with a large gap between number one.

Advice to Management

You have the best sales group out there, quit telling them that and show them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good opportunity

I have been working at Reynolds American

Pros

Personal development, leadership, experience, technology

Cons

Local, not diverse, few services, no social networks

Amazing work experience with high career potential (if you work hard)

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to learn about the CPG industry this is the company for you. You get to consistently interact with key decision makers at the retail and wholesale level which exposes you to all aspects of the business. It has definitely increased my communication and negotiation skills. This is a sales position but you never sale alone even though you do have a territory you manage. I have some incredible coworkers and managers who supports me on a regular basis. It is a competitive group but a little competition never hurt anybody. The tobacco industry is a highly competitive environment which has made me a stronger sales person and better leader. The benefits are top notch. I would be hard pressed to find another company that offered the same or better benefits than this company. The salary, bonus, health care, 401k, company car (insurance, gas, and maintenance paid for), cell phone, etc. they know how to treat their employees right. The goals are a challenge and sometimes I wonder how they were developed but they are attainable if you work smart. It is a sales position so I expect goals. How else are they going to pay me?! But what's incredible is that the job is not commission based. It's not just about me doing anything and everything whether ethical or not to drive the business. They want me to focus on what's right for the business and customer. I have never dealt with a company that consistently pushes me to do what's right for the environment. They encourage me to recycle, gave me a hybrid car, sales material that shares with our customers our sustainability philosophy, offices that are wind powered, etc. It's who they are. The work life balance is just right. They give me unlimited personal and sick days, 2 weeks of vacation right off the bat, and 11 holidays. They expect me to get my work done and rightly fully so. Who wouldn't? There might be a couple of days after I get home that I have to catch up on some paperwork but its not complicated work. A little less reports would be nice though. Managers are young, a little inexperienced, perhaps arrogant but they're great if you know how to manage them. Sounds funny, but I'm a sales person. A good sales person must be able to adapt their communication style in order persuade customers, coworkers, and managers in order to achieve the result you're looking for. Overall, I am really enjoying my experience with this company. If after a few years I'm not in the position I'm hoping for within this company, I have no doubt the skills I am gaining from my time here will benefit me in any other industry.

Cons

Some of the more tenured reps keep referring to the "good old" days when things were more relaxed and not so goal driven. But they also said they got paid only half what they're currently getting paid and without any of the current benefits. Did they expect to get paid more for less work? This is a business. If we don't do the work why should we get paid? They also said the culture has changed for the worse. Honestly, I enjoy this work environment. Probably because I don't know better and that's fine with me.

Advice to Management

For upper management please continue to be transparent. The more we know the better rep I am. Hold yourselves accountable as strongly as you hold us accountable. I do feel like its a group effort. Don't pass the buck unless its rightfully deserved. Train new people managers stronger. A bad manager can have a huge negative effect on not just one individual but an entire market. Not to be rude, but for the new managers please learn to listen. You don't have to set the world on fire. Let your people do that for you. Humility with confidence works a lot better than arrogance and bravado. The sooner you come to the conclusion that you don't know everything the easier life will be for all of us. Set expectations correctly and upfront. I understand my sales goals but the qualitative are confusing. What's considered qualitative? Gives us the right parameters. Perhaps this should come from upper management?