There are newer employer reviews for Reynolds American

Disappointing experience

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Santa Fe, NM
Current Employee - Account Executive in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Reynolds American

Pros

Salary is good but lower than sister company for similar roles. Company car. All benefits are same as RJRT (sister company). 401k match, decent (not wonderful) paid time off.

Cons

Executive Leadership is poor and inexperienced. Micromanagement to the 10th degree at every level. They track start and end times of exempt field sales reps and continually have "talks" with field reps about everything they do wrong. Little praise is given when one does something good. The company dangles a carrot over succession candidates to get them to behave like lapdogs begging for a scooby snack hoping for a promotion that doesn't exist. Only single, apartment renting individuals are promoted to the few positions that become available. You must be willing to move to a minimum of 12 places to be considered for promotion and then only if you are a chosen one (which means you are a campaigning yourself to management like a governor candidate). Management leads by fear and will crucify anyone who disagrees with their opinion or suggestions. It's like they can't handle that someone might have a better idea than them so they'd rather not hear it. They expect everyone to follow them but preach about leadership dimensions. There are no true leaders at this company but a group of inexperienced individuals who were promoted because they would relocate and they spend their time micromanaging every aspect out of fear of being criticized themselves. The culture here used to be fabulous and it was a happy place to be. Not anymore. The only thing this company has going for it is the fact that it has a niche product at the right time and it continues to grow despite itself.
Job expectations: Field reps have 600 sales calls to make quarterly, Key Accounts Reps have in upwards of 40-50 chain headquarter calls in 2-4 state territories so vast that there is no humanly way possible to meet the expectation unless you sell your home and live in a hotel 7 nights a week.
The majority of the employees are hoping and praying for RJ Reynolds to merge the 2 companies sooner than later.
Evaluations: They believe in a full management panel process so everyone in management gets together for a week to talk about each field rep and decide if the employee is worthy whether or not they've ever met the person. They thinks it's fair. It's not. Why? because the sales job is highly demographically driven and some territories are not going to sell the product while some are saturated with it. So there are reps in CA that are rated highly and don't do much because all their accounts have the product in distribution and then there are reps in other parts of the country where the product doesn't do well and they are penalized because of it. It's difficult to sell a premium cigarette to an impoverished population.
One last thing: If you sneeze wrong on scratch your nose and someone in management sees it, you are pulled aside and told you are ruining your credibility. Ridiculous.

Get over yourself and listen to the feedback of your sales force. Just because someone doesn't want to move across country doesn't mean they are not good. Stop the competition and campaigning of your entry level management and field reps seeking a promotion. You are boosting your own egos when encouraging this type of behavior and it puts everyone on edge. Contrary to what you want to see and believe, this is not a high-performing culture. It's a very unhappy culture. Unhappy employees are not good employees so maybe that is why you feel the need to micromanagement them incessantly. Give a little, get a lot. is that too much to ask for?

232 Other Employee Reviews for Reynolds American (View Most Recent)

What used to be a great career has turned into a nightmare.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Reynolds American

Pros

car, yearly bonus, cell phone allowance

Cons

Division managers are supposed to mentor. I have been subjected to a manager that expects me to figure it out myself. Has NEVER given constructive comments or taught me any aspect of my job. How could I have been good enough to get promoted and suddenly I am "horrible"? I am going to have to leave this job because the mental anguish I am being put through is not worth it. Working over 60 hours a week to try to "figure it out on my own" because I am afraid to ask a question because this manager loves to fire people.

You have some rogue managers that need to "hit the road". You have people terrified that if they complain of unfair treatment they will be fired. Practice what you preach and value ALL employees.

RJ Reynolds Tobacco Comany is an organization devoted to treating employees like trash.

Current Employee - Territory Manager II  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Reynolds American

Pros

Seeing your boss only about once a month is a wonderful experience.

Cons

Management sucks, they do not respect their employees.

Learn how to manage hardworking employees...RESPECTING the people that earn your paychecks is critical for improving workplace performance.

There are newer employer reviews for Reynolds American

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!