Lots of Talented and Bright Folks!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great start up environment, generous perks and smart people all in one place! I joined because I wanted to be a part of an innovative, scrappy start up. We have grown since I've been here, but it's still scrappy and we're building products quickly. Lots of great people to learn from makes me feel like I've finally found the right balance between exciting work and talented people.

Cons

Company is growing quickly and business has lots of moving pieces so the pace of business here is fast. Sometimes that pace is not for everyone and for those who can't move fast enough, they continue to play catch up.

Solicit feedback of employees to assure a healthy working environment
Pay well with salary and equity so that people don't have to worry about that stuff. We're not here for the money, we're here because we believe in the business

Other Reviews for RichRelevance

Interesting company but too focused on marketing. Huge emphasis on making it seem like a Google or FB which it isn't.

I have been working at RichRelevance

Pros

Fun. Can't say that everyday doesn't have it's laughs. Passion. Need lots of passion to strive to maintain momentum.

Cons

Current opensource Mahout technology developed by past customer took it's toll on our enterprise clients (public knowledge. google mahout overstock). As more and more opensource becomes readily available, the differentiation factor diminishes greatly. In looking at the rest of the comments here, I see a general theme of marketing blurbery. That's where I see the fault of the company really lies. It's too focused on marketing and being glitzy rather than being innovative. If a former customer created a workable solution and threw it out in the opensource world...then you have to strive to innovate rather than change marketing and keep pushing the old same stuff.

Cut the marketing budget perhaps and put it into engineering? Focus more on creating product differentiators. That's really the key. How do I keep my company on the cutting edge, especially when opensource alternatives have eaten away at our earnings.

So far , so good - a hidden gem.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting "big data" problems to work on. Great, engineer-friendly culture. Unlimited PTO! "Small company" feel is still there - email jokes that go to "all", silliness etc. still happens. Incredibly smart people- some of the most brilliant you'll find. Lots of "Dot-com" perks like free food, massages, games room etc. Friendly people, still relatively flat hierarchy (CEO walks around SF office and greets people daily). Execs are all ex-engineers to they "get" software development. Potential to make money if it goes IPO or gets acquired. Very open communication - financial numbers are published and company fiscal health is always discussed openly.

Cons

Can be chaotic - but to be expected in a start-up and some people like that. Dealing with remote offices/employees means lots of conference calls. Not a 9-5 easy paycheck. WFH policy (or lack of) is awkward - people tend to make weird excuses so they can work from home and email everyone ("have to babysit the dog as he's throwing up"). No major red flags...yet.

Careful not to pile on the bureaucracy or instill heavy methodologies/process as the company grows. Genius thrives on chaos. Don't try to "manage" or "control" engineers - tell them what you want, and let them figure out how to get there. No heavy project management. You have a winning formula so don't mess with it. Don't lower the hiring standards to grow quickly. Publish a liberal work-from-home policy such as "whenever you want" - no excuses needed.

There are newer employer reviews for RichRelevance.

Worked for RichRelevance? Contribute to the Community!