Richmond American Homes

www.richmondamerican.com
  www.richmondamerican.com
There are newer employer reviews for Richmond American Homes

In tough times communication from upper management became worse instead of better

Former Employee - Land Acquisition Specialist  in  Reston, VA
Former Employee - Land Acquisition Specialist in Reston, VA

I worked at Richmond American Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training, friendly managers, enjoyable work.

Cons

In a down market they really struggled to communicate clearly with their employees.

37 Other Employee Reviews for Richmond American Homes (View Most Recent)

Sales

I worked at Richmond American Homes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Had homes to sell when other builder didn't. Aggressive. Made good money.

Cons

Worked all holidays and weekends. Little time off. Management came from construction. Did not like sales people. Houses were not built well and they did not support the warranty department. A lot of confusion when a subdivision was opened. Disorganized.

Need to listen to your sales people. They know what will sell. Need to start subdivision right from development on. Support your warranty department. And let sales people have at least a week off a year.

Unfortunately promotes cut throat sales practices by letting it occur time and time again

I worked at Richmond American Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working as a sales associate and Depending on who you are working with this can be a great collaborative and exciting company. It's exciting to see people who are building their homes for the first time, it's rewarding to be able to help them get their house. There are weekly meetings to keep employees informed on the company and how to handle situations or because better at your position. You get part of your commission when you write a sales contract. There are some really nice people who work there.

Cons

Some in senior management cater to their favorites; it's pretty obvious and unfair but there seems there is nothing to be done about it, either quit or accept the situation. We can't complain/talk to anyone but your immediate supervisor which creates a problem. The rules for buyers are very stringent and really need to be loosened up, some feel like if we are building a house for them, why do we have to make it what we want for possible resale if they don't end up actually getting the house; I agree with the buyer wanting to personalize their home for them, not us. Management and some sales associates care more about their commissions than the people who are purchasing their product. Other people can steal your clients from right out from under you and then say "well you weren't in and they wanted to move forward" and there is nothing you can do about that, even with it is deliberate. Its dog eat dog in a lot of offices, but there are other offices where it's very collaborative and honest - makes you feel jealous you don't work with them. You have to spend way more time working than was said, yes I know this is sales, but there are some people that take off all the time and yet make more sales?? Suspicious. All in all it's typical sleazy sales environment with a lot of backstabbing employees and it sucked to see your buyers be unhappy and let down with the home buying process. I felt obligated to quit do to the business practices so just wanted to share mine and others opinions of the company. Don't work here if you want to be happy.

Train train train. You need to listen to your employees, not just your under staff. Open a way for all employees to be able to check in with you (at any level, not just the chain of command) and let you know what is going on, we have some really good ideas and creative talents that we do not get to show, trust us. Please check in with lower level employee and ask questions about what they think of their managers. Don't allow employees with no integrity to continue to do business that way, our buyers see that and I know that has led buyers to look for other builders because of it. Money is very important, but if we didn't have buyers we wouldn't have a company.

There are newer employer reviews for Richmond American Homes

Worked for Richmond American Homes? Contribute to the Community!