Excellent outpatient Clinical Nursing Position

Current Employee - Clinical Nurse Manager
Current Employee - Clinical Nurse Manager

I have been working at Richmond Area Multi-Services

Pros

SMall, friendly, very supportive non-profit mental health agency in San Francisco, dedicated to caring for those with chronic mental illness from a variety of backgrounds.

Cons

No significant downside to working at RAMS. Salary is less than what one would get on inpatient nursing units, but competitive compared to other outpatient settings.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be supportive to the clients we serve and to the staff who work diligently to care for the patient population.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Collaborative staff, caring management, and high standards of work

Current Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Richmond Area Multi-Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RAMS Hire-Ability is one of the best places I have ever worked at. Among 30 staff members, I have experienced no drama with any of them. In fact, they often go the extra mile when I ask them for work favors. It is a very inclusive and warm environment. Staff go out of their way to plan events for birthdays, baby showers, going-away parties, etc. Management encourages these morale-boosting activities and actually make a point to use the budget set aside for thoughtful things that staff would appreciate. It makes sense why the company has such a great reputation in the SF mental health community. In addition, everyone in upper management is approachable and makes time for direct-line staff. I've never gotten the sense that any of the directors or executives are superior to me. In fact, management goes out of their way to try to eat with staff regularly at lunchtime. The CEO also sets aside time to give an in-depth 2-3 hour-long orientation a month after a new staff member starts working. At this meeting, the CEO asks for feedback on what the company can do better, what they can do for this staff member, and how they can help the staff member get further in her/his career. RAMS is also very open to creative ways to help someone develop professionally. Frontline members who are not necessarily in a clinical-type position are given the chance to get clinical supervision hours in order to help him/her complete his/her Masters program. Lastly, RAMS places a HUGE emphasis on properly training staff. At weekly staff meetings, the director frequently asks us what trainings we'd like to receive that will help us provide better services to clients. They seem to have a good budget for external trainings as well. P.S. Benefits are pretty good. No copay when I visit the doctor and my meds are fairly cheap for the generic brand.

Cons

Pay is lower than I would like. I am currently making about 10% less than I did at the previous SF nonprofit I worked at. But I guess the trade-off is that the morale is much higher here (and trainings/professional development opportunities are better).

Advice to Management

Take a look at budget to make wages more competitive. Otherwise, keep doing what makes this company great!

2. Company has good reputation in community, job security is stable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Richmond Area Multi-Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for mental health clinicians to get initial experiences and opportunities to get paid. Culturally competent services provided for clients. Because of RAMS good reputation with the county, it will be likely to continue to receive funding in order to provide ongoing services. Generous vacation package. Charismatic CEO and upper management are very supportive of the employees. This agency seems to be as strong as it gets in terms of private non-profits that contract with the city to provide services.

Cons

Benefits are weak in terms of healthcare for family members (adding one person to employee's plan costs more than $500/mo.). Sometimes there is a disconnect between administration and the programs so that policies are not always effectively communicated to all employees.

Advice to Management

Please try and secure healthcare for family and some kind of matching 401k