Ricoh Americas Corporation

No respect for employees

Current Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation full-time

Pros

Some good people. Opportunities to learn and meet people who might help you find another job.

Cons

Ricoh was never very clear on company values and what little they had has become completely lost as they merged with IKON. People rarely even know their bosses as they work in different office, more so there's very little respect or acknowledgement of the work that is done. Savin before Ricoh had great benefits, and Ricoh's were still good. As they've become more IKON-ized, co-workers who have had surgery and had to go on disability for a few months, now have to pay the full insurance premium! Ikon, I mean Ricoh pays nothing during that time. So not only are they having difficulty making ends meet on disability wages, they have to pay MORE than usual. Hardly a way to say "we value you."

As the company has become a large amorphous mass, customers have difficulty finding the right person to solve their problem. Customers hated that about Ikon, and now they hate it about Ricoh.

Bigger isn't always better. If you treat your employees well, and give them clear objectives, your customers will reap the benefits. When you promote people to management, make sure they have actual management skills. A great sales rep doesn't necessarily make a great sales manager.

468 Other Employee Reviews for Ricoh Americas Corporation (View Most Recent)

Working at Ricoh 20+ years

Current Employee - Technology Support Specialist II in West Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Support Specialist II in West Springfield, MA

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being on your own as an on the road technician

Cons

Since Ricoh bought Ikon 5 years ago it's been nothing but changes, changes, changes. And none for the good of the customer or the employee. Lousy pay and lousy pay raises!!!

Stop changing territories so quickly which negatively affects the customer. Stop making us get Comp Tia certs. That we don't need in our day to day activities. STOP pushing the numbers and the parts budget so much.

The Dinosaur Turned to Look at the Mushroom Cloud and the Rapidly Closing Blast Wave. It Was Already Too Late.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It seems like most of the employees are about to retire (or die), so there's room to move up!

The hourly employees are very friendly.

Cons

Ricoh is a huge, aging, rusty war tank. At one time, I'm sure it was a good company, but now its a dying relic of the past. As the world moves into a digital era, printers and copiers are becoming less and less necessary.

The pay is poor. As a contractor, I received no benefits, no paid holidays, etc. I received no formal training for any part of the job. There's miles and miles of red tape everywhere - in fact, it was well into my third week before I received a laptop and could start actual work (and the computer I got was old and slow).

My job is essentially to waste paper - 1-ton roll after 1-ton roll. The culture here promotes such waste with platitudes like "hey, we gotta provide job security for people in the paper industry!"

The company rides a hypocritical line - on one hand, they act like they want to save costs. For instance, they charge for the flimsy plasticware in the cafeteria, and this is the first engineering company I've been at where there's no coffee in the break rooms. In fact, they give away nothing for free. On the other hand, they squander money left and right through duplication of effort and wasteful practices.

Even the buildings are depressing - they are a maze of row after row of doors. There are no window offices, because if we can't all have windows, then nobody can have one.

There's little diversity: most of the population here are old white baby boomers. Many of the engineers seem ignorant, slow, and resistant to change. Sadly, there are very few bright and talented people here.

Take a lesson from the new, successful tech companies. Ditch the dress code, embrace change, and cut the fat from the workforce. No, on second thought, just let this mother burn.

There are newer employer reviews for Ricoh Americas Corporation