There are newer employer reviews for Rincon Research Corporation

Rincon Research Corporation

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff  in  Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rincon Research Corporation

Pros

RRC has lots of interesting work, a good work environment, great benefits, highly competent and friendly co-workers. We work is small teams with minimal supervision from management. RRC is an ESOP majority owned company which means the employees are owners and share in the profits.

Cons

RRC's career path is undefined. We have 6 grades for the technical staff but no description for any of the grades and consequently no idea what is need to progress along the career path.

As the company grows we need more structure. We need a company plan to know where we are going. We need career paths to allow for structured professional growth.

We need senior management with vision and the ability to act in the long term best interest of this vision rather than reacting only to the challenges and stresses of the moment. This means hiring someone from outside the company better than yourself.

8 Other Employee Reviews for Rincon Research Corporation (View Most Recent)

A good place for a few years of your career.

Former Employee - Employee  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rincon Research Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

• Free benefits – medical, dental, life insurance, STD/LTD, Long-Term Care insurance (medical and dental premiums are paid 100%, even for family coverage)
    • Great pay
    • Free coffee/soda/bottled water
    • Tuition reimbursement
    • 50% reimbursement for internet at home as well as the cost of certain electronic devices
    • Paid holidays include the week between Christmas and New Year’s
    • Private or semi-private offices (no cubes)
    • Covered parking
    • Elaborate employee morale events (holiday party, company picnic, etc.)
    • Whatever office supplies/tools you need to do your job
    • Great 401k match and ESOP – both vested on day 1
    • A ridiculous amount of PTO can be carried over each year and there is comp time.

Cons

• Free benefits – The move to HealthSmart was a bad decision. When you tell people you have HealthSmart, they look at you like it is insurance for low income people or something. Doctors’ offices and pharmacies are confused when they hear that RRC’s insurance is through HealthSmart, but that they are using Cigna’s network. Also, HealthSmart has been a real pain to deal with in general.
    • Internal equity when it comes to pay is non-existent.
    • Company spends its money frivolously (elaborate employee morale events, elaborate catered lunches, Long-Term Care insurance, never-ending office supplies, unnecessary company travel, etc.)
    • No sick time, just PTO
    • ESOP – No one has ever been able to give a straight answer as to what happens after the founder is bought out completely.
    • Lack of professionalism. Dress code and core hours are non-existent. People are frequently MIA (e.g. out for a midday jog, etc.). And what kind of business lets their receptionist leave at 3pm?
    • Lack of communication. Problems are ignored (they will go away on their own?) and e-mails are not responded to (famous line – “Oh, I haven’t seen that e-mail yet.”).
    • The janitorial service just empties your trash. If you really want something cleaned, you have to do it yourself even though that is what the janitorial service is paid to do.
    • The building is old and falling apart. It is also in the ghetto.
    • Upper management has either spent their entire career at Rincon or they came from a company where they were technical staff; it was not until they came to RRC that they became managers. Unfortunately, the result is a lack of management with real leadership skills.
    • A ridiculous amount of PTO can be carried over each year and there is comp time – employees have abused this.
    • There have been years where New Year’s Day is a floating holiday, but not an actual holiday. Really?
    • No advancement opportunities whatsoever, so employees just stay because of the great pay and free benefits.
    • The Board of Directors is a joke – not the concept itself, but rather how it is run. It is the same people on it every year. The voting process is therefore a waste of resources, both time and money (printing, copying, the cost of envelopes, Payroll’s time stuffing envelopes, postage to and from, BeachFleischman’s charges to tally results, etc.).
    • There are a handful of employees that are dead weight. Management needs to clean house like they did in Office Space.
    • Management is reluctant to try anything new. Just because it has been done such and such way since 1983 doesn’t mean it is still the right way.

See above. Regarding below – Yes, I would recommend Rincon to a friend (for a few years anyway). But I wouldn’t plan on staying there long-term because it is uncertain how long they will be in business.

Smart people, hard problems, poor quality results

Current Employee - Scientist/Engineer  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Scientist/Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rincon Research Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation is 1st class. Good salary, great 401k matching, ESOP (essentially another retirement fund), great medical coverage.

These are some of the smartest people I've worked with. But they also have very strong opinions and are difficult to convince that there is another way. I learned a lot about technical subjects (from peer knowledge and positive examples) and project development (mostly from shortcomings and negative examples).

Cons

There is very much a cowboy approach to development. A good candidate for the company mantra is "Smart people always will get the job done". While often the job gets done, it may be difficult to support/maintain or poor quality. Most work is very ad hoc and not planned or consistent.

Many times I encountered unusual means of implementation because of a particular lead developers belief. Broad unfounded statements such as "I don't believe in comments" or "Databases are no good" were common and acceptable.

It appears that management believes team work either happens or doesn't, and that very little can be done to help foster good collaboration. If it's not working move people around.

Improve leadership. Work on team communication and getting teams to work together. Early project planning should supply a frame work that is flexible but still strong enough to give some structure.

There are newer employer reviews for Rincon Research Corporation

Worked for Rincon Research Corporation? Contribute to the Community!