Rio Tinto Minerals

www.riotintominerals.com
  www.riotintominerals.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rio Tinto Minerals

The people are very nice, the work environment energetic, but the management within Rio Tinto PLC is frustrating.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Rio Tinto Minerals

Pros

Nice and intelligent people who are enthusiastic about their work. Interesting subject matter and lots of opportunities to work in multi-discipline groups. Global in nature with dynamic markets.

Cons

Senior level management within Rio Tinto PLC seem to have no idea what RTM does but they are learning, slowly. The organizational structure of the business units make for sluggish ability to change and adapt to market conditions. This also effects the ability to upgrade essential databases and software, communicate across business groups, collaborate across borders, and recruit much needed talent. The Upper upper level management have made bad decisions that have negatively affected the more profitable arms of the business, hindering growth and profitability.

Enthusiasm for the business and clearly outlining the goals and growth path of the business will help to motivate employees. Encourage collaboration and most importantly create an environment of change so that employees feel comfortable contributing to discussions and decision making. The latter will help to educate yourselves on the operational issues of the business. We shouldn't be spending 30% of our time messing around with crumby or poorly functional databases.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Rio Tinto Minerals (View Most Recent)

I agree with other posts

Current Employee - Manager in Boron, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boron, CA

I have been working at Rio Tinto Minerals

Pros

Brand recognition, Good life/work balance, and above average benefits package.

Cons

First of all, dont trust HR. They are there to protect the company, they say they will keep your comments off the record but after meeting they change their mind and use that information against you.
    I couldnt figure out how is rewarding is done and I have been there for 4-5 years. Dont trust your supervisor. If you are more talented than him/her, she/he will use your ideas, reward you poorly and never promote your talent.
    No diversity (number of women, black, asian employees are very few). For example, we work on MLK day. The morale is very poor now. I am planning to leave and wont even look back.
    If you are out of college, young, talented guy/gal, go somewhere else. And dont think that you may work your way to another subsidary, there is no exchange programs. Rio Tinto Minerals is a tiniest part of Rio Tinto and it looks like it will not be for long. Profits are decreasing. They are loosing market share in both products (talc and borates).

You are getting fooled by politicians who doesnt do any work, exploit their employees talents. You need to get rid of these people. Current job market helps you to do whatever you want but it is getting better and people started to leave already. Think about why. Invest on your own. You dont need to hire externally. Reward fairly.

Company's culture is deteriorating fast

Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Rio Tinto Minerals

Pros

Good work-life balance, ok benefits (401k match, health, etc.)

Cons

Rewarding is based on favoritism not what you accomplished, how well you do your job. Politics in office is unbearable. Career opportunities are very limited even though Rio Tinto is a huge company. There is no exchanging employees between other subsidiaries. Strong resistance against any new approach. Very Ops oriented company. If you are ambitious, creative and dont like politics go somewhere else.

Reward people based on performance not how well they do politics. And reward FAIRLY. Invest in your own people. Dont keep hiring outsiders, they are impacting the culture negatively. You have people with great skills invest in them.

There are newer employer reviews for Rio Tinto Minerals