There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

Fantastic company with strong culture

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Thorough interview process - Culture fit is as (if not more) important as technical skill - Great perks (fully stocked kitchen with fresh fruit, cereals, snacks, teas, and coffee) - Lots of opportunity to learn and grow - Flat organization; open seating and little hierarchy

Cons

- Location: traffic is difficult and finding a place to live close by isn't easy - Explosive growth, can feel a little unconstrained - Positions and responsibilities are nebulous - Work/Life balance is tough; long days are expected and the norm

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Workplace, Great Work, Great People

Current Employee - Recruiting in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best things about Riot is it doesn't change it's business model based on what would make money. Though it's an internationally facing company, they make what they make for the players, and don't grind out crap work for profit. Everyone here is immensely passionate about what they do, and if you aren't learning something every day, you must be in the wrong office. The company takes ridiculously good care of us, and tries every step of the way to make sure we're engaged culturally, intellectually and socially with the industry and each other. It's by far the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Work/life is a little based on making friends at work, and late nights are a usual thing (though not encouraged.) I don't have a family myself, but can see it being tough for people with wives/husbands that aren't Rioters or with kids. Sometimes getting information you need for benefits, etc is difficult to get ahold of, also, but I think they're working on this.

Advice to Management

Make sure that teams feel appreciated, and not just team leads. Leads may drive a project, but it's everyone working together that gets it done and polished and out the door.

High-risk, high-reward

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Riot's provided a great opportunity to work alongside a group of geniuses on a daily basis. Simply put, the company doesn't hire dumb people. Being able to consistently count on teammates for quality work and support is an incredible asset. Beyond that, the company is clearly on the bleeding edge of the industry and is just getting started. It's an incredible place to learn and grow. Benefits are very generous as well.

Cons

Work/life balance will almost certainly tilt in favor of work. Riot is a hard-driving firm that offers great opportunities to those that chase them down. If I had a family, I'd worry about this more, but as a bachelor it's not so bad. That said, my leisure reading and watching time has dramatically declined.

Advice to Management

Middle management (of which I'm not a part) seems to be pulled in different directions by the folks above and below them. It sometimes feels that plans that ostensibly come from the upper echelons of the company don't seem to filter down to the ranks, occasionally leaving middle managers to (sometimes ineffectively) explain decisions from on high to the ranks.