Riot Games

There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

Humbitious Success

Current Employee - Quality Management Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Quality Management Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Flexible Work Hours
- Excellent Benefits
- Bright, Cheerful Workspace
- Unlimited Growth Potential
- Passionate, Driven Leadership
- Excited, Supportive Management
- Exhaustively in-depth interview process

Riot Games is a pinnacle in the game industry, exemplifying the philosophy that a studio can maintain a large daily workforce, high quality and constant improvement and expansion without sacrificing work environment, salary or employee well-being

Cons

- Inexperienced leadership and management
- Occasionally conflicting goals and strategies
- Santa Monica traffic and living costs are prohibitive
- Lack of feedback on performance from management
- "Boys Club" mentality to process improvement and new ideas, if you're not already part of the in-group, your opinion is undervalued

One downside of Riot's meteoric rise to publish the most-played game in the world is a lack of foundation building and infrastructure stabilization. Young leaders and managers bring drive and passion to a workforce, but inexperience and some naivete cause the success to rest on a shaky framework.

Back off on the publishing cadence to spend more time nurturing and growing employees.

188 Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games (View Most Recent)

High Expectations / High Rewards

Current Employee - People Team (HR) in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - People Team (HR) in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I rated Riot 5 stars because the company is a great fit for me. I fully recognize and acknowledge that this company may not be a good fit for a lot of people. Most of what I write could be taken as a pro or con depending on your work preferences...

(Pro/Con) You need to check your ego at the door to succeed here. We have some of the world's top performers in their respective industries here but there's also a strong culture of feedback so if you're sensitive to hearing anything negative about your performance or work, you might not like working here.

(Pro/Con) Plenty of perks and benefits for employees. As part of Riot's People Team, I can attest to the fact that we are constantly thinking about what will make our employees happy, maintain high-caliber work, and help them grow professionally. But tied to that is the expectation that they are going to deliver phenomenal work consistently (keeping in mind that one-off mistakes are okay and considered good learning experiences....as long as you learn from them).

(Pro/Con) If you've been hired here, it's mostly because it's been deemed that your judgement can be trusted. Once you're in, Riot will really rely on you to use your best judgement to make key and critical decisions. That type of freedom can be liberating as long as you consider that you'll also be held accountable for these decisions if they don't turn out well.

Cons

(Pro/Con) There isn't really a work/life balance here, in part because most Rioters seem to be workaholics by nature, in part because Riot offers a ton of social and personal/professional growth activities that go on all the time, and in part because there's just so much work to do.

As long as your hearts and motivations are in the right place, there's no challenge that can't be overcome.

Amazing place to be...

I worked at Riot Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people.
    Wonderful game.
    Fun place to be with a lot for you to do and grow into if you are willing to show that you can handle it.

Cons

Unfortunately, middle management is going through growing pains right now. There are a lot of people in positions there that probably would do well in an established company but are doing less well in a company that is still defining itself.

Stick to your company values and things will shake themselves out.

There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games