Humbitious Success

Current Employee - Quality Management Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Quality Management Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible Work Hours
- Excellent Benefits
- Bright, Cheerful Workspace
- Unlimited Growth Potential
- Passionate, Driven Leadership
- Excited, Supportive Management
- Exhaustively in-depth interview process

Riot Games is a pinnacle in the game industry, exemplifying the philosophy that a studio can maintain a large daily workforce, high quality and constant improvement and expansion without sacrificing work environment, salary or employee well-being

Cons

- Inexperienced leadership and management
- Occasionally conflicting goals and strategies
- Santa Monica traffic and living costs are prohibitive
- Lack of feedback on performance from management
- "Boys Club" mentality to process improvement and new ideas, if you're not already part of the in-group, your opinion is undervalued

One downside of Riot's meteoric rise to publish the most-played game in the world is a lack of foundation building and infrastructure stabilization. Young leaders and managers bring drive and passion to a workforce, but inexperience and some naivete cause the success to rest on a shaky framework.

Advice to Management

Back off on the publishing cadence to spend more time nurturing and growing employees.

reviews filtered by

High Expectations / High Rewards

Current Employee - People Team (HR) in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - People Team (HR) in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I rated Riot 5 stars because the company is a great fit for me. I fully recognize and acknowledge that this company may not be a good fit for a lot of people. Most of what I write could be taken as a pro or con depending on your work preferences...

(Pro/Con) You need to check your ego at the door to succeed here. We have some of the world's top performers in their respective industries here but there's also a strong culture of feedback so if you're sensitive to hearing anything negative about your performance or work, you might not like working here.

(Pro/Con) Plenty of perks and benefits for employees. As part of Riot's People Team, I can attest to the fact that we are constantly thinking about what will make our employees happy, maintain high-caliber work, and help them grow professionally. But tied to that is the expectation that they are going to deliver phenomenal work consistently (keeping in mind that one-off mistakes are okay and considered good learning experiences....as long as you learn from them).

(Pro/Con) If you've been hired here, it's mostly because it's been deemed that your judgement can be trusted. Once you're in, Riot will really rely on you to use your best judgement to make key and critical decisions. That type of freedom can be liberating as long as you consider that you'll also be held accountable for these decisions if they don't turn out well.

Cons

(Pro/Con) There isn't really a work/life balance here, in part because most Rioters seem to be workaholics by nature, in part because Riot offers a ton of social and personal/professional growth activities that go on all the time, and in part because there's just so much work to do.

Advice to Management

As long as your hearts and motivations are in the right place, there's no challenge that can't be overcome.

Great Workplace, Great Work, Great People

Current Employee - Recruiting in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best things about Riot is it doesn't change it's business model based on what would make money. Though it's an internationally facing company, they make what they make for the players, and don't grind out crap work for profit.

Everyone here is immensely passionate about what they do, and if you aren't learning something every day, you must be in the wrong office. The company takes ridiculously good care of us, and tries every step of the way to make sure we're engaged culturally, intellectually and socially with the industry and each other. It's by far the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Work/life is a little based on making friends at work, and late nights are a usual thing (though not encouraged.) I don't have a family myself, but can see it being tough for people with wives/husbands that aren't Rioters or with kids.

Sometimes getting information you need for benefits, etc is difficult to get ahold of, also, but I think they're working on this.

Advice to Management

Make sure that teams feel appreciated, and not just team leads. Leads may drive a project, but it's everyone working together that gets it done and polished and out the door.