Riot Games

www.riotgames.com
  www.riotgames.com
There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

If you like what we do, you will LOVE Riot Games!

Current Employee - Regional Manager, International Publishing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* results oriented, no time for BS or politics.

* there is never a lack of opportunity to grow and achieve what you want, it is up to you to take initiative and lead

* company takes good care of employees

* player focused approach makes our business sustainable in the long run and it is the secret to our success

* talent focus mentality, we hire and nurture the best and foster a strong collaboration - you will really feel part of a team and not isolated

Cons

* need to find your work / life balance, which is encouraged but not always reality depending on what you work on. We support a live service that runs 24/7 and never stops, sometimes you will work a lot, but the company offers mandatory vacation time and even pays an yearly retreat to everyone. Depending on the role of course, it is not too hectic though, most people have a balanced routine

* not a lot of direction or coaching on day to day which can be hard for junior roles. If you expect months of on boarding and lots of training, Riot is not the best. Generally new employees need to figure things out fast and know our product well, there is not a lot of hand holding. On the other hand people are very approachable at all levels so if you take initiative you will find what you need and learn very fast.

* keep it up, let's maintain our strong culture even after we scale fast in size

* spend more time with the different teams, they love to interact with you but many new employees haven't had many chances

174 Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games (View Most Recent)

Best place in games, maybe in all of technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (more than an year)

Pros

[+] Good culture - everyone knows Riot's values internally and lives by them. This company is truly dedicated to the player experience. You won't see any cheesy inspirational posters on the wall.
    [+] High quality game design - there are some games out there that don't offer players much of value, and that limit player progress unless the player forks out cash. Riot's business model is more player friendly, and more sustainable for both company and player. This model is fairly unique and is the real secret to the company's success because it aligns company and player interests.

[+] Excellent team – Riot has done a very good job hiring excellent people. From new college grads to experienced industry vets, this is the most capable, positive, and high-performing team I’ve had the pleasure to work with in my years of work experience.

[+] Spotless ethics – this company conducts business cleanly and fairly. You’ll feel this when interacting with peers internally (there’s no backstabbing and people uphold the ideals of sportsmanship) and externally. Riot only works with vendors and partners who can truly improve the player experience.

[+] Fun environment – As a result of Riot’s full-time focus on creating fun for players, we try to make sure that fun’s part of the daily work environment.

[+] Mission-driven - At Riot, games are srs business. It’s never “just a game” to us because we think that entertainment and playfulness are a core human need, coming in right after those other Maslovian essentials like food, shelter, and sexy time. This is a company of people dedicated to serving that need.

Cons

[-] Weakened culture screening – as a result of the company’s growth, there’s been some controversial weakening of hiring standards. It’s really hard for example to find core gamers who are also really great at <insert esoteric professional skill>, so the company has had to loosen some of its standards with regards to hiring people who genuinely love games and can be termed core gamers. These hires may assimilate just fine. Or they may go on to hire additional people who don’t game, thus sending us down the long, slippery slope towards becoming another <insert game company full of people who don’t play or care about games >.

[-] Immature internal infrastructure – There are about three times as many Rioters today as there were two years ago. Many internal systems are still those of a much smaller company and are groaning under the load. From the “emailpocalypse” of 2012 when many emails were lost to the fact that there’s no longer a room that fits everybody for our “all hands” meetings, this is a company that needs to trade up to big boy underpants.

[-] Management upgrades incomplete – The exec team is struggling to build a layer of trusted and strategically aligned managers that they can rely on to act in a way that’s consistent with their vision. This means that they occasionally micromanage, “swoop-and-poop” and display other behaviors that don’t happen in mature organizations where mid-level management is trusted, aligned, and held accountable. I’m confident this situation is evolving in the right direction, but it’s currently not where it needs to be.

[-] Hot, flat, and crowded – the current offices are increasingly less hospitable to getting work done because we’ve outgrown our current space and are jamming people into an office that was never designed for this sort of seating density. It’s like Lord of the Flies if you want a conference room and headphones (free from IT of course) are a must if you want to actually focus on your own work for a beat.

I appreciate that you've been reading these reviews and paying attention to the internal feedback that you receive through Pain and other channels. Please keep paying attention. It's more important now than ever that you stay in touch with what's happening.

High Expectations / High Rewards

Current Employee - People Team (HR) in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - People Team (HR) in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I rated Riot 5 stars because the company is a great fit for me. I fully recognize and acknowledge that this company may not be a good fit for a lot of people. Most of what I write could be taken as a pro or con depending on your work preferences...

(Pro/Con) You need to check your ego at the door to succeed here. We have some of the world's top performers in their respective industries here but there's also a strong culture of feedback so if you're sensitive to hearing anything negative about your performance or work, you might not like working here.

(Pro/Con) Plenty of perks and benefits for employees. As part of Riot's People Team, I can attest to the fact that we are constantly thinking about what will make our employees happy, maintain high-caliber work, and help them grow professionally. But tied to that is the expectation that they are going to deliver phenomenal work consistently (keeping in mind that one-off mistakes are okay and considered good learning experiences....as long as you learn from them).

(Pro/Con) If you've been hired here, it's mostly because it's been deemed that your judgement can be trusted. Once you're in, Riot will really rely on you to use your best judgement to make key and critical decisions. That type of freedom can be liberating as long as you consider that you'll also be held accountable for these decisions if they don't turn out well.

Cons

(Pro/Con) There isn't really a work/life balance here, in part because most Rioters seem to be workaholics by nature, in part because Riot offers a ton of social and personal/professional growth activities that go on all the time, and in part because there's just so much work to do.

As long as your hearts and motivations are in the right place, there's no challenge that can't be overcome.

There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games