Riot Games

www.riotgames.com

If you like what we do, you will LOVE Riot Games!

Current Employee - Regional Manager, International Publishing  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Regional Manager, International Publishing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

* results oriented, no time for BS or politics.

* there is never a lack of opportunity to grow and achieve what you want, it is up to you to take initiative and lead

* company takes good care of employees

* player focused approach makes our business sustainable in the long run and it is the secret to our success

* talent focus mentality, we hire and nurture the best and foster a strong collaboration - you will really feel part of a team and not isolated

Cons

* need to find your work / life balance, which is encouraged but not always reality depending on what you work on. We support a live service that runs 24/7 and never stops, sometimes you will work a lot, but the company offers mandatory vacation time and even pays an yearly retreat to everyone. Depending on the role of course, it is not too hectic though, most people have a balanced routine

* not a lot of direction or coaching on day to day which can be hard for junior roles. If you expect months of on boarding and lots of training, Riot is not the best. Generally new employees need to figure things out fast and know our product well, there is not a lot of hand holding. On the other hand people are very approachable at all levels so if you take initiative you will find what you need and learn very fast.

* keep it up, let's maintain our strong culture even after we scale fast in size

* spend more time with the different teams, they love to interact with you but many new employees haven't had many chances

Other Reviews for Riot Games

It was Great... Until It Wasn't

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Esprit de corps is high, with lots of enthusiastic and hard-working co-workers. The employees are creative and intelligent, and the overall atmosphere is very pleasant... at least on the surface.

The gaming industry's notorious sexism didn't seem to be in effect; female employees were treated with respect and appeared to have ample opportunity for advancement.

Cons

* Bait and switch employment. When I was first hired, I received a lengthy song and dance about how Riot was different than other game companies. They claimed they respected work-life balance and that, while crunch times did happen, normal employment hours averaged 40-50 hours a week. This was a flat-out lie; 80-100 hour weeks were expected. Long work hours are forgivable; deceiving people about them isn't.

* Poor work-life balance. Along those lines, a number of the company's smaller "perks" disguise their desire to have you live, eat and breathe Riot all the time. They offer subsidized dinners when you work late (which is often), plan vacations and trips to the movies as part of company outings, and otherwise monopolize as much time as possible. If you're young, single and devoted to work, this can be a good fit. If you're in a relationship or like doing anything outside of the office, stay away.

* Bad management. Management seems to have little idea about how to handle employees, and tactics shift almost day to day. What's expected of you on Monday may be 180 degrees different on Tuesday, then back to the beginning on Wednesday. Meetings take up a huge portion of the work day, with little or no practical impact coming out of them. Some people seem to spend all their time preparing PowerPoint presentations about what they do instead of getting down to the business of doing it. Resources are poorly spent, and an overall lack of leadership pervades. In many cases, managers were perfectly happy to lie about employees under them rather than take responsibility for mistakes they themselves had made.

* Arrogance, bordering on narcissism. Riot encourages "go-getters" and "leaders," which often translates to people who put their own ambitions in front of the greater good. Internecine politicking is rampant, and employees are often tossed under the bus based on agendas that have nothing to do with the company's business or product. There's a lot of back-biting and factionalism... though less in the rank-and-file workers than in middle management and above. Riot tries to bill itself as "anti-corporate," but its overall culture is corporate in the extreme.
    Furthermore, a general egotism pervades among all levels of employment. The company seems to feel that a hit game gives them license to treat others with contempt or dismissal, which cuts them off from a lot of potentially beneficial people and ideas. A general fraternity atmosphere occasionally turns into the actively cruel. For instance, a company party was held on St. Patrick's Day 2012, featuring little people dressed up as leprechauns. The "performers" hid their faces behind ski masks that clearly weren't a part of their costumes, to save them embarrassment and humiliation. It made for an awkward and unpleasant event, compounded by senior management's seeming obliviousness to the issue.

*Lack of product diversity. Everyone there loves League of Legends, and obviously the game is doing quite well. But there were no signs of trying to diversify beyond that core product, or do more than expand it as far as it can go. They'll be fine as long as sales remain high, but should the market change, this company doesn't appear to have a contingency plan in place.

Let your employees know what's expended of them and stand by those expectations. Foster an atmosphere of clarity and transparency, and punish those who pursue their own agendas at the expense of the company's. Work harder to balance the "fun" nature of the product with a more adult business sensibilities, and get past surface impressions to understand the true nature of the company culture you're creating.

Best place in games, maybe in all of technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

[+] Good culture - everyone knows Riot's values internally and lives by them. This company is truly dedicated to the player experience. You won't see any cheesy inspirational posters on the wall.
    [+] High quality game design - there are some games out there that don't offer players much of value, and that limit player progress unless the player forks out cash. Riot's business model is more player friendly, and more sustainable for both company and player. This model is fairly unique and is the real secret to the company's success because it aligns company and player interests.

[+] Excellent team – Riot has done a very good job hiring excellent people. From new college grads to experienced industry vets, this is the most capable, positive, and high-performing team I’ve had the pleasure to work with in my years of work experience.

[+] Spotless ethics – this company conducts business cleanly and fairly. You’ll feel this when interacting with peers internally (there’s no backstabbing and people uphold the ideals of sportsmanship) and externally. Riot only works with vendors and partners who can truly improve the player experience.

[+] Fun environment – As a result of Riot’s full-time focus on creating fun for players, we try to make sure that fun’s part of the daily work environment.

[+] Mission-driven - At Riot, games are srs business. It’s never “just a game” to us because we think that entertainment and playfulness are a core human need, coming in right after those other Maslovian essentials like food, shelter, and sexy time. This is a company of people dedicated to serving that need.

Cons

[-] Weakened culture screening – as a result of the company’s growth, there’s been some controversial weakening of hiring standards. It’s really hard for example to find core gamers who are also really great at <insert esoteric professional skill>, so the company has had to loosen some of its standards with regards to hiring people who genuinely love games and can be termed core gamers. These hires may assimilate just fine. Or they may go on to hire additional people who don’t game, thus sending us down the long, slippery slope towards becoming another <insert game company full of people who don’t play or care about games >.

[-] Immature internal infrastructure – There are about three times as many Rioters today as there were two years ago. Many internal systems are still those of a much smaller company and are groaning under the load. From the “emailpocalypse” of 2012 when many emails were lost to the fact that there’s no longer a room that fits everybody for our “all hands” meetings, this is a company that needs to trade up to big boy underpants.

[-] Management upgrades incomplete – The exec team is struggling to build a layer of trusted and strategically aligned managers that they can rely on to act in a way that’s consistent with their vision. This means that they occasionally micromanage, “swoop-and-poop” and display other behaviors that don’t happen in mature organizations where mid-level management is trusted, aligned, and held accountable. I’m confident this situation is evolving in the right direction, but it’s currently not where it needs to be.

[-] Hot, flat, and crowded – the current offices are increasingly less hospitable to getting work done because we’ve outgrown our current space and are jamming people into an office that was never designed for this sort of seating density. It’s like Lord of the Flies if you want a conference room and headphones (free from IT of course) are a must if you want to actually focus on your own work for a beat.

I appreciate that you've been reading these reviews and paying attention to the internal feedback that you receive through Pain and other channels. Please keep paying attention. It's more important now than ever that you stay in touch with what's happening.

There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games.

Worked for Riot Games? Contribute to the Community!