Riot Games

www.riotgames.com
There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

This was a privilege

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture, tons of passion for the work, happy employees, engaging company events, strong alignment of priorities.

Cons

Hours can be brutal at times, but I loved the time I was spending at the office. The flat structure is conducive to a creative process, but can get in the way of efficiency.

With the company growing so quickly, it can be difficult to get your bearings and understand who does what. It might make sense to have that made more clear in the onboarding process.

188 Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games (View Most Recent)

Great experience - if you love games and like being challenged

Current Employee - Some Sort of Management in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Some Sort of Management in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- People here really do love games, especially LoL. This is fantastic from a social perspective, and also makes it a lot easier to 'do the right thing' for players. Other game companies I've worked at have not been nearly as good on this.
    - The company is very selective about hiring, and holds people accountable to perform well. This can be a little bit scary at a glance, but it ends up meaning you can trust your co-workers, which is great.
    - LoL is doing well, and this is really fun to be around. Not sure how else to say it.
    - Politics are light. While there are some managers that have quirks, and some situations where it's not clear who is in charge of what, most of these cross-group disputes are well-meaning. I like that you can have a direct, candid discussion about problems with the leadership team and not be risking career damage in doing so.
    - I do best with direct feedback, and Riot for the most part provides this.
    - Problems tend to get solved. I've been here several years, and my major complaints from one year do not typically persist to the next.
    - Benefits and creature comforts are very good, and have been gradually improving.

Cons

- We are sometimes a little slow in our desire to not make mistakes that will adversely affect our players. This means that sometimes something you work on ends up not getting released for a while.
    - There's a lot of change due to the company's steady growth. This sometimes causes management gaps where no one is responsible for something. I like that Riot facilitates stepping up, but sometimes this is a tough situation.
    - You do need to work hard here. I think the work life balance is significant better than most game companies, but this is not a lifestyle company.
    - In many groups, there is a de-facto expectation that you self-direct your career. Riot is very friendly to the idea that you need to make career progress and grow, but doesn't always know how to enable this until you ask. You need to ask.

I feel like some of the young managers don't yet know what they are doing all of the time, and could use some help from senior managers in figuring it out.

Great people, great culture

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, fun working environment, entrepreneurial workplace, fun product and industry, good benefits, Santa Monica is a beautiful place to live

Cons

sometimes long hours, if a person has difficulty dealing with ambiguity they might struggle, sometimes hard to get buy-in for projects due to limited resources

will probably need to develop a more structured organization and processes at some point

There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games