Riot Games

www.riotgames.com

This was a privilege

Former Employee - Intern  in  Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, tons of passion for the work, happy employees, engaging company events, strong alignment of priorities.

Cons

Hours can be brutal at times, but I loved the time I was spending at the office. The flat structure is conducive to a creative process, but can get in the way of efficiency.

With the company growing so quickly, it can be difficult to get your bearings and understand who does what. It might make sense to have that made more clear in the onboarding process.

Other Reviews for Riot Games

Great experience - if you love games and like being challenged

Current Employee - Some Sort of Management  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Some Sort of Management in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- People here really do love games, especially LoL. This is fantastic from a social perspective, and also makes it a lot easier to 'do the right thing' for players. Other game companies I've worked at have not been nearly as good on this.
    - The company is very selective about hiring, and holds people accountable to perform well. This can be a little bit scary at a glance, but it ends up meaning you can trust your co-workers, which is great.
    - LoL is doing well, and this is really fun to be around. Not sure how else to say it.
    - Politics are light. While there are some managers that have quirks, and some situations where it's not clear who is in charge of what, most of these cross-group disputes are well-meaning. I like that you can have a direct, candid discussion about problems with the leadership team and not be risking career damage in doing so.
    - I do best with direct feedback, and Riot for the most part provides this.
    - Problems tend to get solved. I've been here several years, and my major complaints from one year do not typically persist to the next.
    - Benefits and creature comforts are very good, and have been gradually improving.

Cons

- We are sometimes a little slow in our desire to not make mistakes that will adversely affect our players. This means that sometimes something you work on ends up not getting released for a while.
    - There's a lot of change due to the company's steady growth. This sometimes causes management gaps where no one is responsible for something. I like that Riot facilitates stepping up, but sometimes this is a tough situation.
    - You do need to work hard here. I think the work life balance is significant better than most game companies, but this is not a lifestyle company.
    - In many groups, there is a de-facto expectation that you self-direct your career. Riot is very friendly to the idea that you need to make career progress and grow, but doesn't always know how to enable this until you ask. You need to ask.

I feel like some of the young managers don't yet know what they are doing all of the time, and could use some help from senior managers in figuring it out.

A polished display of smoke and mirrors which conceals some deeply concerning bullying, cliques and cult like behavior.

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice offices at Riot, they look after staff in a financial sense; as in you get food and free tickets and goodies. Riot drives its perks directly towards fulfilling its goal to keep Rioters in the office as much and as long as possible.

I read another review, one of the real ones; where someone said it perfectly: I'll quote them, because I cannot possibly rephrase it more eloquently than when they said:

"There are some nice people at Riot, some of whom will kindly show you the door if you're not a good culture fit."

Cons

There's quite a few:
    For example, given that the most senior leadership tout how open an office environment and how flat a structure Riot Games has, they sure spend a vast amount of time in their dedicated conference rooms (read huge offices) behind their usual desks. I can't really speak for what it's like in there with them, because I was never one of the chosen few cliquey people who surround them.

Hypocracy is rife, lies are more so. It's hugely corporate while claiming that it is quite the opposite. It claims transparency while having corporate communications locking down any negativity which could get into the public eye. I've seen the mails where senior staff/leadership are "Strongly encouraged to get those who will speak positively of the company." to post reviews, particularly if negative reviews have been posted so as to discredit them.

Assuming you are cool enough with the bro-fisting elitism, vicious cliques and frathouse-like environment, you will also most likely be able to ingratiate yourself with those in the leadership and find a way into one of the bizarre 'circles of trust' which many of the leaders here appear to hold dear. Failure is not tolerated in any manner, unless you're favored - in which case you're all good, man.

Don't expect clear targets/goals or expectations from your manager, that's not cool enough for Rioters, this means you have to hope you're in that circle of trust and use your divining rod to work out if you're on track, but if you're not - Riot is proud of moving people on, so don't expect to have an opportunity to address your issues. Communication from Managers, some more than others is exceptionally limited, so that's another consideration. Reviews, guidance, coaching...mentoring....yeah, no. Not going to happen.

Expect to be brain-washed, you'll get more random Riot merchandise than you can shake anyone's stick at. Which is great if you like that kind of thing. You'll probably be marked down as a non-believer though if you're not seen wearing that Riot gear regularly, or not playing League of Legends as though it was the air you breathe, or working 60+ hour weeks...I'll save you the rest of the list. It's long...

If you're a drooling frothy fanatic for all things League of Legends who sleeps with a Teemo doll at night and wakes every morning to your Lulu toothbrush and re-runs of LoL E-Sports, you will probably enjoy the cult that is Riot Games regardless of all of the above. If not, it all depends on your tolerance for poison.

Open your eyes to the many 'trusted' people around you and ask if they are actually doing the right thing. Realize you are setting an example to the leaders who follow you when you exhibit astonishing favoritism and unprofessional behavior. Don't be so proud of who you get rid of, because many of those decisions were wrong. You've also retained some of the bad guys.

There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games.

Worked for Riot Games? Contribute to the Community!