Riot Games

www.riotgames.com
There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

Great company, great culture, great experience

Former Employee - Corporate Marketing MBA Intern in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Corporate Marketing MBA Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was working at Riot Games as an MBA intern this summer. It is a truly meaningful experience. Seldom could we work for a company at such rapid growing stage, yet there are already lots of amazingly smart, humble, and passionate people who you could work with and learn from every day! There is no routine or fixed type here. Everyone and everything is unique. You can define your experience and others' experience here.

Cons

Having said that, you might have realized that it's challenging to work in such an environment if you are not a person who likes high autonomy, solving ambiguous problems without much guidance, and can work in a messy situation. If you are looking for well-structured training and guidance, Riot might not be the place for you. Here, you have the freedom to create and grow, but you have to be able to take care of yourself and have a good judgement on when to DIY and when to seek help. And if you don't like fast-paced, sometimes high pressure, and always changing work, then prob. you'll feel very stressed here. It's good to step out of your comfort zone, but you cannot go too far if the challenge gives you more harm than good.

Maybe adopt knowledge management system and promote more sharing of knowledge, skills, and experience among employees, esp. what they have done at Riot and what they are working on now. So that everyone can pick up quickly and easily. Each employee has the responsibility to record and share, and management just provides the resources and cultivates the environment.

207 Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games (View Most Recent)

This was a privilege

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, tons of passion for the work, happy employees, engaging company events, strong alignment of priorities.

Cons

Hours can be brutal at times, but I loved the time I was spending at the office. The flat structure is conducive to a creative process, but can get in the way of efficiency.

With the company growing so quickly, it can be difficult to get your bearings and understand who does what. It might make sense to have that made more clear in the onboarding process.

Great experience - if you love games and like being challenged

Current Employee - Some Sort of Management in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Some Sort of Management in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- People here really do love games, especially LoL. This is fantastic from a social perspective, and also makes it a lot easier to 'do the right thing' for players. Other game companies I've worked at have not been nearly as good on this.
    - The company is very selective about hiring, and holds people accountable to perform well. This can be a little bit scary at a glance, but it ends up meaning you can trust your co-workers, which is great.
    - LoL is doing well, and this is really fun to be around. Not sure how else to say it.
    - Politics are light. While there are some managers that have quirks, and some situations where it's not clear who is in charge of what, most of these cross-group disputes are well-meaning. I like that you can have a direct, candid discussion about problems with the leadership team and not be risking career damage in doing so.
    - I do best with direct feedback, and Riot for the most part provides this.
    - Problems tend to get solved. I've been here several years, and my major complaints from one year do not typically persist to the next.
    - Benefits and creature comforts are very good, and have been gradually improving.

Cons

- We are sometimes a little slow in our desire to not make mistakes that will adversely affect our players. This means that sometimes something you work on ends up not getting released for a while.
    - There's a lot of change due to the company's steady growth. This sometimes causes management gaps where no one is responsible for something. I like that Riot facilitates stepping up, but sometimes this is a tough situation.
    - You do need to work hard here. I think the work life balance is significant better than most game companies, but this is not a lifestyle company.
    - In many groups, there is a de-facto expectation that you self-direct your career. Riot is very friendly to the idea that you need to make career progress and grow, but doesn't always know how to enable this until you ask. You need to ask.

I feel like some of the young managers don't yet know what they are doing all of the time, and could use some help from senior managers in figuring it out.

There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games