Riot Games

www.riotgames.com
There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

A Unique and Rewarding Experience

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

People
- The people at riot are incredibly passionate about League of Legends and games in general. Having the opportunity to work with people that are energized by the medium and that are also true gamers is an awesome experience.
- Riot has done an amazing job hiring incredibly talented and humble people. In all disciplines you will find top talent from across the gaming industry and other areas of technology and media. If you want to work with some of the brightest people in the business, love to form teams and tackle challenges then this is a place for you

Dynamic product
- Working on a product that is also a service presents many unique opportunities and challenges. Being able to work on a product that is always evolving forces you to evolve with it and build solutions to problems and challenges that in some cases have never been experienced. As a veteran of the space, the nature of the product contributes to an always evolving work experience and presents team members with lots of opportunities to grow and develop their skillsets.

Player focused
 - At the heart of every company decision is the philosophy of being player focused. Riot lives the mission of trying to be the most player focused game company in the world. This mantra drives the company to make decisions that are great for the experience of playing the game. This idea is embodied by the entire team and it is refreshing to work with people who want to deliver a great experience to players

Highly collaborative
- People seek out opportunities to team with the best contributors possible. Riot is incredibly fast paced and communication is key in being successful. This leads to a lot of collaboration across all disciplines within the company. A great part of the collaborative nature of the company is the culture of feedback that has been created. Feedback is welcomed, encouraged, and viewed as a tool for helping to deliver a great player experience. If you believe that communication and iteration can take great ideas to the next level then Riot is a place for you

Opportunity for career development and defining experiences
- Flat structure coupled with management focused on empowering their teams and a culture built around facilitation vs. dictation can lead to great things. Lots of opportunity for junior and senior level team members to lead teams, learn and make decisions that impact millions of people. If you have a vision for what you want to achieve in your role and career you can make it happen at Riot.

Cons

Work/life balance
 - Riot is a young company and has a relatively young workforce that is incredibly passionate about the product. This factor coupled with the fact that there is lots of work to be done on the product can lead to long days and a lot of hours.
- Since the product and nature of the work is interesting and challenging it is hard to put the game and work down.

Evolving structure
- Lack of process requires a certain type of person who can function comfortably with a certain level of uncertainty. This Introduces some complexity to the day to day grind and requires a level of focus that most jobs don’t require
- Changing structure and a rapidly growing team can lead to communication issues and at times requires a lot of persistence to ensure coordination between teams and shared understanding

Keep evolving, continue to make good hires and stay player focused. Keep crushing it, the sky is the limit for this product and I’m excited to see where the team can take it! Stay hungry and stay humble.

206 Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games (View Most Recent)

Cultural Excellence

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern

I have been working at Riot Games as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Aside from being surrounded by talented, fun people, at Riot you'll experience an all-encompassing culture that strives to breed significant, tangible improvement in all of its aspects. I feel I would be hard-pressed to find a single company across the nation, from 1-man shows to 10,000 employee super-giants, that seeks constant improvement with the ferocity that Riot Games does. The company quietly structures away hierarchy and false barriers like rank and position, anything that gets in the way of great ideas and great work bubbling up to improve player experience. I truly felt like this was a place where knowledge and good ideas reigned, and where the company cared about it's people. The atmosphere is loud and communicative, very energetic, and an extremely welcoming place to come work every morning.

Cons

Let me first qualify my statements by saying that I am only an intern, but one that was paying close attention to these matters. As scary as it may sound to some, Riot Games does not provide clear paths for upward mobility. Like all things at Riot, if you want it, you have to forge your own path. While succeeding at keeping the feel of an almost entirely flat hierarchy, they have not yet worked out great ways to reflect the tremendous personal growth that employees will undoubtedly experience there. The people who are here are already so qualified, and such a unique breed, that the horizontally free-flowing nature of their role and title is all but appealing in most cases. However, I think this is one area that will raise an eyebrow even from the most well-suited individuals.

Keep the focus on the players and on your people without succumbing to the pressures of the "industry standard" - even those standards set at the highest level of the industry. Posh work places aren't what is necessary to make exceptional games.

Prepare to take on a challenge and evolve

Current Employee - International Publishing Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - International Publishing Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Riot Games is an amazing company to work at. You get to interact with some of the brightest minds in gaming and everyone is always up for discussion. There is very little sense of hierarchy. Not that you don't have someone that guides you, mentor you and pushes you to achieve what you can do and even more, but more that logic rather than seniority guides decisions. It's also not a place where seniority matters a lot. Of course time helps you illustrate your talents, but there is no time required to grow. The only thing that limits your professional growth is the pace at which you can learn to be what you want to be next.
    In a way, when you enter Riot Games, you are the entrepreneur of your own success and of the company's success.

The Culture within Riot is really amazing, and highly enjoyable. I need to be intellectually challenged constantly, and I can count on all of my coworkers (which I consider my friends as well for a big part of them) to bring new problems that everyone can reflect on, although in the end one person or one group is going to be tasked to solve it.

There is also a culture of constructive feedback that allows everyone to evolve constantly and that goes both ways. I had very bad feedback from a team, and instead of just putting the blame on me, my career mentor took the time to investigate and get deeper within the problem, which ended up by giving mutual feedback in both directions in a constructive way.

Cons

Riot Games has grown immensely in the past 3 years. This means that the structure in which you evolve is not always spot on to the theory of what higher management wants it to be. There are a lot of organizational challenges that need to be fixed, and having a very bottom-heavy company means that it's often easier to ignore an organizational problem for most Rioters than to actually tackle it on your way to the objectives that really matter.
    Riot Games is the worst company if you want a job in which you can just do your 8 hours a day and disconnect. The problems that we face are intellectually sticky, and ambition is a must have if you want to be part of the Riot Team (not family). This is a place to grow and evolve, not just a place to work at.

Another issue is that the international offices have grown so fast and emerged from the ground at such a pace that in a lot of case there is a lack of understanding / communication with international offices.

It might sound very abstract, but on an international perspective, I think we need to build a more solid box before we can actually have Rioters thing outside of it. More support and attention will enable more empowerment of the regions.

There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games