Ripple Labs

There are newer employer reviews for Ripple Labs

Challenging, Stimulating Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ripple Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ripple Labs was designed to be a place of constant innovation and learning, and that clearly carries through to the day-to-day environment. The entire team is smart, helpful, and passionate about their jobs. Everyone is extremely willing to help new employees learn, and there are weekly lunch and learn meetings to foster better understanding of cross-team topics. I knew as soon as I walked into my interview that this was absolutely the place for me.

It's an awesome time to be working at Ripple Labs, as we're growing rapidly and witnessing new, exciting developments everyday. It feels amazing to be part of building a product that is on the brink of transforming the finance industry. For people who are motivated by plugging into a larger vision, this is an environment where you really have a chance to shape the future.

Cons

Ripple is admittedly a complex technology for those of us who haven't come from a financial or cryptography background, so it takes patience and time to get up to speed. This is offset by the ample opportunities for learning. We're also in rapid growth stage which always comes with some minor growing pains, but the leadership team is well aware of the challenges and experienced in making the growth period as smooth as possible.

The leadership team has done a great job of maintaining an open, constructive environment in the past, where everyone feels in the loop on the latest updates and able to provide input on company decisions. Let's make sure this continues as we add new team members and continue to foster a friendly, family-like environment.

18 Other Employee Reviews for Ripple Labs (View Most Recent)

The best place I have worked.

Current Employee - User Experience Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ripple Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Far and away, my favorite part of working at Ripple Labs is the people. It's amazing that we have kept up such a high bar in terms of talent as well as culture. The company has changed significantly as it has grown since I have joined, but the values that Ripple Labs and my coworkers hold dear have kept us moving together in a collaborative and challenging environment.

Cons

It is sometimes really stressful. Not in the sense that there is a lot of unnecessary pressure, but in the sense that each and every person here is very good at what they do, and there's the expectation that you always turn in great work.

Keep on doing what you're doing. I haven't had any reason to doubt the commitment to the employees or to the Ripple community.

Brilliant, ambitious company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ripple Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When you first understand what Ripple does you think "wow, that's crazy" -- enable people to send money anywhere in the world, in any currency, in 5 seconds, practically for free. Then you start asking how it works and you think "wow, that's REALLY crazy" -- it's a distributed network that's open source and open for anyone to join and use. Then, you ask about how the company makes money if it's all open source and you find that it's a startup that actually makes money.

Ripple Labs has an unbelievably talented and intelligent team. I have met some of the smartest people I know here, but they are also the type to take the time to explain (in whatever level of technical details you want) exactly what they're working on, what it does, and how it works. I am truly inspired by the people I work with.

People work hard here because they believe the company and the technology have great potential and they are passionate about and challenged by what they do. At the same time, it's not the kind of place where you're expected to work crazy hours -- the CEO has a family and kids and so he's going to go home at a reasonable time and that kind of attitude definitely trickles down from him. There are some people who are out by 6pm most days and others who work consistently over the weekends because this is what they love doing. There's a great balance and overall it's a fantastic place to work.

Lastly, there were about 5 days in the past year when I was not excited to go to work, and those were largely because I didn't get enough sleep the night before. It's really an inspiring team and I've had an opportunity to work on some fascinating and challenging projects.

Cons

This is a startup that's growing fast. The team has grown by 4 or 5 times in the past year and we're constantly hiring more. As such, we haven't gotten all the processes right yet and it's important that new employees seek out the help, explanations, or guidance they need. Individual teams are still quite small but it's definitely getting to the point where not everyone knows one another.

Really my only gripe is that over the past couple of months we've gone from emphasizing how flat the organization is to hearing constant mentions of the Leadership Team's strategy offsite meetings. As the company grows it obviously becomes impossible for everyone to participate in strategy conversations. However, I think the leadership and strategy of the company could be more open and inclusive if we thought about it first as a collaborative process that not everyone has the time or bandwidth to participate in (though they could if they wanted to), and less as the domain of the "Leadership Team" whose findings then get shared with the rest of the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Ripple Labs