A great place to learn if you can see the trees for the forest

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

very hands on, lots of interaction with customers, upper management is overall receptive to employee feedback, great people work here. I have held three positions and grew into a leader here! I loved my time working here and I loved my customers. Very glad that I stuck it out through the merge with Eckerd and they are really evolving into a company who is employee-friendly. I LOVED my staff at each store I ran. I learned a lot about attention to detail, inventory management and team building and supervision. learned how to use my own judgment to lead a team. I grew confidence in my ability to get great results. I was a first time manager who learned so much valuable information. The sink or swim environment pushed me harder and I adapted quickly. I don't know about others but my District Team was amazing!

Cons

as a Store Manager, there is some stress of trying to juggle multiple positions on minimal staff. payroll hours for cashiers are low which puts you on register and can be frustrating if people need help in the back of the store or if you want to do things in your back room. not much room to advance because of downsizing there aren't many positions to move up to. In order to put the focus back on the customers, we need a little more help in the store 10 - 15 hours of payroll makes a HUGE difference in these stores and customers are starting to notice when you are alone and when they cannot get help on the sales floor. Shift managers are sometimes more focused on task completion than taking initiative and caring for the customers which at times puts the manager trying to pick up the extra tasks. SOME staff is very gossip focused and negative and you have really got to focus on not putting yourself in the middle of petty he said she said or negativity by turning into positive conversation. I really kept to myself and attached myself to those who kept out of gossip. If you can avoid that, you will move up. Manager's pay is not always fair. some managers start higher than others with less experience. the compensation for managers and shifts could be a little better as we are doing a multitude of job functions at once.

Continue to listen to your teams in the store for feedback of what is working and what isn't. You have great staff in majority of the employees. create new positions to give the store managers and assistants options of upward mobility. You have many great managers who have been waiting 5 plus years for a chance to move up with nothing opening up in their areas. For example, in my area, I could name 10 managers ahead of me who deserve to be a District Manager just as much if not more than I do. Continue to use our feedback to build a company that other companies will admire. Your employees are very dedicated and as long as you treat them right, they will do the same.

Other Reviews for Rite Aid

The bottom of the food chain in the Retail business. I couldn't believe that many other people have left bad ratings.

Current Employee - Associate  in  Ocean Springs, MS
    Current Employee - Associate in Ocean Springs, MS

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time for less than a year

Pros

They have 401K and Aetna is their insurance :-). This is really good. I like the Rewards Points Program., you really can save a lot.

Cons

Their managers don't train you well at all. They want to see you fail while working with other Associates and Staff members. They won't even try to help you Transfer if you really needed to go to another state because of personal issues in your family. They have no moral values whatsoever! The Pharmacy Manager needs to be re-trained all over again. She could do a whole lot better than she is doing.

They could start their Pharmacy Technicians off with more than $10.00 per hour. This is the same amount they are paying their Associates. They do a whole lot and at least deserve $12.00 per hour when starting out. They need to pay their Pharmacy Staff a lot more than what they do because the guests and patient complain all the time about how long it takes to pick up their medicine(s).

Tough Place to Work

Former Employee - Manager  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Harrisburg is a nice town if you work in the home office.

Cons

A lack of respect for fellow employees. It has been awhile since I was there and I hope it has changed, but if you are planning to interview for a job there I'd try and talk with some more recent employees.

Walk the talk.

There are newer employer reviews for Rite Aid.

Worked for Rite Aid? Contribute to the Community!