There are newer employer reviews for Ritz-Carlton

Good place to work, but hiring standards slipping...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

They walk the corporate talk (of keeping customer service high) more than any other company I've worked for. Most service companies hire employees based on their perceived competence to do the work required, then attempt to "teach" them customer skills. The Ritz, however, interviews employees separately for both job skills and personal qualities. The latter interview is a personality profile that ascertains the applicant's spirit to anticipate and fulfill guest needs. Their philosophy subscribes to the belief that great employees are hired, not molded by the employer, and that job skills can be taught; but not so a guest-oriented attitude. Remember the smart, smiling, engaging cashiers on the old McDonald's commercials? Ritz employees are like that in real life.

Cons

Not having been in management there, I don't know if the hiring standards have been lowered, but new hires seem far less friendly than new hires once did. It seems now that management seeks in its new hires cold competence over friendliness, the "ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen" ethos, and the desire to go the extra mile. A less friendly world has been reflected in less friendly Ritz-Carlton employees. Fortunately there are still plenty of tenured employees there to make one feel welcomed. Turnover is low for the hotel industry.

Advice to Management

Reinstate the 20 basics and restore the original QSP process.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. The General Manager sat next to me in the cafeteria on my second day. As an intern.

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

I suppose it always depends on the team you work on, no matter what company you work for, and I happened to work on a great team. The director was passionate about what she did and the other HR administrators always extended a warm hand whenever I needed help. Even though I was only an intern, I felt like I was apart of the team. I felt empowered and that I mattered. They do a great job at orientation and training and they set up these milestones (six months, one year, etc) and see how you are progressing in your role and in your personal career goals.

Cons

I feel like they streamline positions for a reason, the reason that if they do happen to lose that person in that role it wouldn't take too much of an effort to find someone else to fill the same role.

Advice to Management

Leadership does a great job at getting to know all levels of their department. No one feels like they are at the "bottom" of the corporate food chain.

2. Advancement in the hotel industry

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Avon, CO
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Avon, CO

I worked at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

Friendly Management, Friendly Co-Workers, Promote from within when applicable, Great Pay and pretty good health benefits, performance driven

Cons

The business landscape is constantly changing, they do not look at education or past experience for promotions, some of the Manager's know what they are doing and some do not have the faintest idea how to work with employees let alone interacting with guests

Advice to Management

Should look into an individual's education and past experience in addition to their performance when promoting an employee