leader in the industry!

Former Employee - Concierge  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Concierge in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

great place to work... happy about the experience, but glad to be out of the hospitality industry... for a hotel job, the ritz is the best company to work for besides their antiquated dress code but that's to be expected. i made a lot of money without having to do an exorbitant amount of work.

"We are ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen." They really try to let this company model permeate through every aspect of the business. Overall, I am very happy to say that I was "Ritz-Carlton."

Cons

its a hotel job. no weekends, no holidays to yourself... had to shave everyday. antiquated dress code/grooming standards (cant keep anything but a moustache, women's hair has to be one "natural" color, no "crazy" colors on a girl's fingernails, etc) but otherwise, there really arent too many cons besides the nature of the industry and its 24/7/365 culture. you have to be a true workaholic to make a career in the hotel industry!

keep up the good work... always listen to your employees cause we really do have our finger on the pulse of the business needs of the company.

Other Reviews for Ritz-Carlton

Good place to work, but hiring standards slipping...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

They walk the corporate talk (of keeping customer service high) more than any other company I've worked for. Most service companies hire employees based on their perceived competence to do the work required, then attempt to "teach" them customer skills. The Ritz, however, interviews employees separately for both job skills and personal qualities. The latter interview is a personality profile that ascertains the applicant's spirit to anticipate and fulfill guest needs. Their philosophy subscribes to the belief that great employees are hired, not molded by the employer, and that job skills can be taught; but not so a guest-oriented attitude. Remember the smart, smiling, engaging cashiers on the old McDonald's commercials? Ritz employees are like that in real life.

Cons

Not having been in management there, I don't know if the hiring standards have been lowered, but new hires seem far less friendly than new hires once did. It seems now that management seeks in its new hires cold competence over friendliness, the "ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen" ethos, and the desire to go the extra mile. A less friendly world has been reflected in less friendly Ritz-Carlton employees. Fortunately there are still plenty of tenured employees there to make one feel welcomed. Turnover is low for the hotel industry.

Reinstate the 20 basics and restore the original QSP process.

The General Manager sat next to me in the cafeteria on my second day. As an intern.

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

I suppose it always depends on the team you work on, no matter what company you work for, and I happened to work on a great team. The director was passionate about what she did and the other HR administrators always extended a warm hand whenever I needed help.

Even though I was only an intern, I felt like I was apart of the team. I felt empowered and that I mattered. They do a great job at orientation and training and they set up these milestones (six months, one year, etc) and see how you are progressing in your role and in your personal career goals.

Cons

I feel like they streamline positions for a reason, the reason that if they do happen to lose that person in that role it wouldn't take too much of an effort to find someone else to fill the same role.

Leadership does a great job at getting to know all levels of their department. No one feels like they are at the "bottom" of the corporate food chain.

There are newer employer reviews for Ritz-Carlton.

Worked for Ritz-Carlton? Contribute to the Community!