Riverbed Technology

www.riverbed.com

Very smart people

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Great culture, really smart people and understanding management make it a great work environment

Cons

Work can sometimes be mundane.

Make new stuff...

Other reviews for Riverbed Technology

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Tools Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Tools Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

- Get to implement your ideas!!
    - Excellent work culture
    - Everyone is accessible. Even our CEO Jerry Kennelly is only a few cubicles away
    - There is a really cool game room

Cons

- I cant think of any as of now

Great goin!! :)

Noisy Frustrating Work Environment

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

There's a lot to like about this company. Good products, good growth prospects, interesting things to learn, wonderful coworkers. They get the details right in a lot of little ways - best break room food and drink supplies I've ever experienced, well-designed benefits program, seriously helpful and flexible IT department. Salaries seem reasonable or better. And the experience I'm getting here will be excellent for my future prospects.

Cons

Unfortunately, I've got a headache. Again. And it's not even noon. They have an open work environment to facilitate communication. No sound deadening cloth covered cube walls. They recently moved my site to a new building, with less space per employee, and larger open areas. During core hours, I can almost always clearly hear 3 distinct conversations - plus background hum.

Sound cancelling head phones don't cancel conversation, just white noise. Drowning it out with music doesn't work for me. My productivity seems to be running at approx. 2/3 of what I feel capable of. I've tried offsetting my working hours, and that helps some, but leaves me exhausted. Working from home is more promising; if I can work from home 2 days a week I can probably meet job requirements. Normally I routinely exceed job requirements - so my self confidence is suffering. I keep hoping I'll adapt to the noise - I've only been here a few months - but now I'm having trouble keeping my bad mood/bad temper from spilling over at work.

Your principle of no offices for anyone is intriguing. I kind of like the idea that even the CEO is in the same working environment as the lowliest new hire. But working at a table in a low walled cube shared with 6 or 8 other engineers, with a conference room [where people routinely have speaker phone meetings with the door open] perhaps 6 feet from my chair? With the only acoustic damping coming from the ceiling tiles? That's not compatible with any kind of concentration, and without concentration, engineers can have creative ideas all day long, but our implementation suffers horribly.

Please please please fix this. Break up the sea of desks with something that absorbs sound, not low glass/metal/plastic dividers. Give us all enough individual space to have a shelf for books. Make conference room doors transparent, so people will be less inclined to leave them open - latecomers will be able to see who's in the room.

And while you're at it, be more generous with work at home support and remote work support. If the office is a bad working environment, expect people to work at home - and don't expect them to work there on a laptop without a docking station. With most employees spending at least a day a week at other Riverbed offices, not to mention hiding on other floors to avoid distraction, make the hotelling cubes more comfortable - docking stations, monitors, and keyboard trays come to mind.

There are newer employer reviews for Riverbed Technology.

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!