There are newer employer reviews for Riverbed Technology

Look forward to go to work everyday!

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fully immersive experience into WAN acceleration technologies - there's nowhere to go but up - there's so much to learn - awesome co-workers - awesome benefits.

Cons

Haven't found one yet.
Haven't found one yet.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Friendly envrionment, but company is struggling to find itself

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The highlight of working at Riverbed is my colleagues. Everyone is quite friendly, good sense of humor, very smart, and always willing to help out. While everyone's work hours and habits are flexible (another big plus), everyone works to accommodate each other. This creates an environment of learning and collaboration that is great for junior and senior engineers alike.

I also appreciate Riverbed's practice of integrating new tools and libraries into our work flow. At the same time, regular tech-talks are held to introduce said tools and libraries, to ensure everyone is on board with the selection and implementation. The best part is that everyone has the opportunity to introduce their favorite technology to the company.

In that vein, Riverbed is still a company full of opportunity. Every employee is encouraged to find new problems to solve with our products, to take initiatives to make our product better, more reliable, more efficient. There isn't always time for every initiative, so some things have to be done on personal time, but initiatives can be rewarding.

Cons

Following the last of the Pros, it feels like there is never enough time to do things "the right way" at Riverbed. There is always a deadline looming, and designs / plans are constantly being shaved down to meet deadlines, even if it does not make sense. Part of the reason, I believe, is that many teams at Riverbed are understaffed. I hear this all the time: "we don't have the resources to complete this feature on time"

Even though the Sunnyvale employees just moved into a brand new building, it already feels crowded. There aren't enough conference rooms, bathrooms, space in the break room is limited. The "open seating design" of the offices is great for collaboration, but horrible for concentration. Noise is a constant issue, be it your coworkers socializing, people talking loudly on phones, people leaving their cell phone ring tones at full volume, etc.

Despite many years of growth, Riverbed has yet to figure out how to scale itself as an engineering organization. Processes, designs, frameworks are changing rapidly, often without time to fully "shake out the bugs". This leaves developers as perpetual guinea pigs, experiencing the pain of working through half-baked procedures and designs.

As others have noted, compensation does not follow the market... especially since last year's $1BB acquisition of OPNET. It seems costs are being cut since this acquisition, and us employees are bearing the brunt of the cuts. There is little compensation besides salary: mostly stock-based incentives, and RVBD stock hasn't been very consistent in its growth. As a result, RVBD has higher than average turnover.

Advice to Management

Enough with the acquisitions! Let's focus on growing our core business, including growing and retaining in-house talent.

Startup limitations without startup benefits

Current Employee - Mots in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Mots in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work wise it is ok, just like any bay area tech company.
    Some work can be challenging with some amount of flexibility typical of any software company around.

Cons

As the title mentions, low salary and bonus than the big software companies. But the stock is not doing well, so no advantages of being in a small company.