Keeps trundling along, somehow

Former Employee - Software Engineer Networks (MTS) in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer Networks (MTS) in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance! Engineers arrive at work at about 11AM on average. The exodus begins at 5PM and is almost complete by 6. The Pingpong and Foosball tables are in continuous use after 1PM. A lot of people don't come in until lunchtime. Most engineers are away from their desks most of the time. Hard to say how much people work from home, of course, but no way no how is this one of those (mythical?) companies where people work around the clock. You can see that from the productivity alone. For about a year-long period, I was depressed about work and putting about two hours of concentrated effort a day into my job. It didn't affect my performance review at all.

Cons

Product release dates were "soft" even six years ago, when I joined, but over time they've become fluid to the point of near meaninglessness. Management wasn't unaware of this and a year ago we were given the solution: Agile Development. Meh...some good ideas, but long on magic bullets and paperwork, while short on common sense. Also, the language/communication problem has gotten worse. There were always a lot of Indian and Chinese engineers, but when I started they by and large spoke and wrote good English. But the more recent hires, it seems, have been brought in with no regard to their command of English. The result: unproductive meetings, strange variable/function/file names in code, near-worthless technical specifications, confusing bug and field reports.

Advice to Management

Apart from dealing with the issues I've mentioned above: Try to hire people for, explicitly, either San Francisco or Sunnyvale, so an entire team can be in one place or the other. The typical two-days-a-week Caltrain trip is a wearying, and expensive, time-sink. Besides that, people would bond with their teammates better if they really worked next to them all the time.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good technology with a good culture

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company focuses on customer needs and employees as well as driving revenue. Best in class solutions

Cons

Solutions need more integration. Sales quotas need to be right-sized.

Advice to Management

Adjust sales quotas to be achievable.

Awesome Culture - Great People - Outstanding Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people - very friendly, very helpful and very knowledgeable. No process for process sake - extremely practical Lightning fast response to customer issues and very sensitive to field input Such an approachable leadership everyone from CEO down - I have met Jerry several times and he is very open and honest. Extremely talented Marketing folks, social media greats and passionate sales. Modern workspace - new SF HQ is par excellence! Sunnyvale facility is more than functional. Free snacks, drinks, game rooms and open culture make it possible to have fun and work. All in all - in my 20+ years of experience, I have yet to see a company that is so well balanced as Riverbed.

Cons

Can't think of many but if you insist, lack of a proper intranet is sometimes stifling. The other is lack of cash bonus as some bigger employers pay - but then we are still a startup!

Advice to Management

Retain your top people, keep up the great work, keep promoting internally. Don't cave into Elliott!