Riverbed Technology

www.riverbed.com

Keeps trundling along, somehow

Software Engineer Networks (MTS) (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat work-life balance! Engineers arrive at work at about 11AM on average. The exodus begins at 5PM and is almost complete by 6. The Pingpong and Foosball tables are in continuous use after 1PM. A lot of people don't come in until lunchtime. Most engineers are away from their desks most of the time. Hard to say how much people work from home, of course, but no way no how is this one of those (mythical?) companies where people work around the clock. You can see that from the productivity alone.

For about a year-long period, I was depressed about work and putting about two hours of concentrated effort a day into my job. It didn't affect my performance review at all.

ConsProduct release dates were "soft" even six years ago, when I joined, but over time they've become fluid to the point of near meaninglessness. Management wasn't unaware of this and a year ago we were given the solution: Agile Development. Meh...some good ideas, but long on magic bullets and paperwork, while short on common sense.

Also, the language/communication problem has gotten worse. There were always a lot of Indian and Chinese engineers, but when I started they by and large spoke and wrote good English. But the more recent hires, it seems, have been brought in with no regard to their command of English. The result: unproductive meetings, strange variable/function/file names in code, near-worthless technical specifications, confusing bug and field reports.

Advice to Senior ManagementApart from dealing with the issues I've mentioned above:
Try to hire people for, explicitly, either San Francisco or Sunnyvale, so an entire team can be in one place or the other. The typical two-days-a-week Caltrain trip is a wearying, and expensive, time-sink. Besides that, people would bond with their teammates better if they really worked next to them all the time.

Company is at crossroads

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: "Having worked at some other places I find a great… Cons: Career development can be challenging in certain departments. Advice to Senior Management: Find ways to motivate employees and learn to absorb acquisitions. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Riverbed SE

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: I've been at Riverbed for just over four years. Has been a… Cons: The company is evolving so expect the headaches that go… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Riverbed Technology.

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!