There are newer employer reviews for Robert Bosch

It was a wonderfull experience.

Former Employee - Navy Recruiting District in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Navy Recruiting District in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Robert Bosch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime and good benefits.

Cons

Working on the weekend long hours.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great benifit package, but 12 rotating shift bad for family life and schooling.

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Fountain Inn, SC
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Fountain Inn, SC

I have been working at Robert Bosch

Pros

Good hourly pay, good insurance packages.

Cons

12 hour rotating shifts leave you too exhausted for family life and you can't attend classes because your days off off change every week. I thought Robert Bosch was the 1st to introduce the 8 hour work day in Germany to allow his employees to enjoy time with their families.

Advice to Management

Happy employees are usually not looking for another job. Exhausted employees missing their families probably are (looking for a more suitable job). Consider the money you are spending on training new employees that end up leaving after a few months of 12 hour rotating shifts versus running straight 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shifts. I haven't heard one operator say anything positive about 12 hour shifts. You need to change before there are only trainees with no one with experience to train them.

STAY AWAY IF YOU CAN HELP IT

Former Employee - Finance in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Finance in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Robert Bosch

Pros

I am struggling to come up with 100 words for this section. The benefits package was great. They had a great matching on 401k ( 6.5% when I left ) but with 3 year vesting. Pay was average compared to others but you worked many more hours.... Because you work so much, you learn a lot. You are exposed to many concepts and skills when you work all day and night. The business plan is a good learning experience but you work 70 hours a week all summer long and you cant take vacation during that time either. Bosch's products are good but expensive. The company has a sense of pride in its work. Cafeteria was good. Free coffee (you will need it).

Cons

The work environment was horrible. Work life balance was non existant and still is. I worked an average of 55hrs/ week on normal weeks and 70hrs/week during the business plan which lasts from June - September. People usually leave the company after a couple years. If you need to leave early (6:30) on a particular day, they make you feel guilty. Forget about trying to continue your education while working there because they do not respect the fact that you need to leave for class.

I have friends that still work there (in finance and engineering) and things havent changed. Bosch is a german company so there are many german expats that work there. They are treated much beter than others - really it was so appearant. It is a total shame - nothing is worse than feeling like a second class citizen in your own country. You will not get far working at Bosch unless you are german or want to be german through learning the language, living in germany ( atleast temporarily ) and kissing lots of butts. Even then, that will take you only so far. If you are a minority - forget about it.

Performance reviews are a joke. Every manager has his own standards. My manager rated gave me an average PR because I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to do working 55+ hours (and yes, I am a competent efficient individual). Bosch is slow to hire people because they know they can dump the work on the people still there. Burn out rate is very very high and as a result turn over is high.

The average age of a Bosch employee is lower than average - they try to hire young, single employees that can be manipulated into working long hours. There is definately age discrimination. When management get big bonuses in December, they are all giggly and joyful. Non-managers get no bonus and positive feedback is rare.

Stay away from this place unless you have no choice. A job at bosch is better than no job. If you have to get a job at Bosch, get a prescription for prozak - you will need it.

Obviously, everything I am writing in this review is my opinion but it is a common one if you ask around. Believe it or not, I am happy person. Aside from Bosch, I am always rank highly among my peers.

Advice to Management

Fix all of the above. It is a shame because it could be a good company to work for.