There are newer employer reviews for Roche

Although not a Bay Area Biotech Star Roche is a satisfying place to work that retains employees.

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Pleasant work environment. Some perks like regular socials and variety of employee social events.

Cons

Management does seem out of touch at times however I've seem much worse at other companies, so really can't complain.

Strive to be a "Best place to work" to attract new scientists with innovative ideas.

reviews filtered by
  1. The paycheck is good, but opportunities for advancement are lacking.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Roche

Pros

The paycheck starts out great and there is support from management to improve your technical abilities. I learned many new techniques and attended several seminars, conferences, and training workshops. There is ample money for lab equipment, travel compensation, and on-campus gatherings.

Cons

The hours can be long and the year-end bonuses are not great. Also, some groups are politically charged leading to squabbles and power struggles. The yearly raises are generally equal to inflation and raises are not significantly higher, even when promoted to a new level. Researchers holding a Bachelor's will not be promoted as quickly as PhDs and are significantly less likely to be promoted to management positions.

More employees with a Bachelor's degree should be promoted to upper level positions - nearly all management opportunities are given to PhDs.

2. Roche is a good place to work if you can work in the typical corp. environment

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Roche

Pros

You are helping the end user live a better lift. They have great benefits. One of the few companies that have a pension plan. Most of the people are nice. I feel it is a changing organization right now, trying to become younger.

Cons

typical corporate red tape and they are VERY conservative and stuck in their ways. There is little visibility to senior leaders. I do not think I have seen a senior leader in person one time except for my division head and he is very rare to see

Come roam among your people (the analysts, line workers, etc.)

There are newer employer reviews for Roche