There are newer employer reviews for Roche

Consistent Change!

Current Employee - IT Manager in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - IT Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Roche full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Office location, majority of people at the company have a true desire to engage and make work more than just a job.

Cons

Senior leaders are too far removed from the operations and day to day activities, especially within the IT organization. There's not enough walking the walk when it comes to people development.

When stating that the employees are the greatest asset, show it, don't just say it!

reviews filtered by

IT in the US be wary, good company overall.

Former Employee - Technology Solution Manager in Nutley, NJ
    Former Employee - Technology Solution Manager in Nutley, NJ

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits for all Roche employees.
    Highly competitive salaries with bonus and depending on your level, stock options.
    They do a great job of providing top notch healthcare, dental, 401k matching and so forth.
    They value personal time and all the managers I had were great to work for except one (he is no longer with the company).
    I would still be with the company if they didn't shut down the location I was at.
    Each time I was impacted by a restructured job, I was able to get a 10% retention bonus for my stress (you would get it if you stayed to your end date as well).
    Very good severance package when large groups are impacted.

Cons

I worked for Roche for 14 years and other than the last 5-6 years it was a great company. My advice is if you are working for Roche in the IT area, you are at risk of yearly stress of losing your job due to restructuring and sending jobs around the company/world. In the past 6 years, my job was impacted 4-5 times. I had to either apply for a new job or take a package and leave. All of these were due to OPEX realignment of personnel. Senior management would move head count from one location to another without always understanding what they were doing. The latest push in the US is to send IT to Genentech in CA, Madrid, Spain or back to Basel, Switzerland. The Nutley location was closed down after 100 years of service and the US headquarters shifted to Genentech.

The merger of Roche and Genentech has not been the smoothest. Each company is still a separate entity and supported by different IT departments.

Genentech has not experienced the headcount loss experience as of my last day. They are in for a shock once it does. You have to keep in mind that Roche is the typical Swiss based company, and Gene is the typical San Francisco company. They are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum. Roche is extremely process driven, cost conscious (with regards to IT) and doesn't like to deviate. Gene is agile and flexible with the mentality of "get the work done as quick as possible." They don't let cost act as barrier necessarily. Gene is able to bypass process and make their internal customers happy with rapid turn around times. This is the direction Roche is trying to go but with processes still in the picture.

Stop with the constant reorganizations. Once we finally get everything working again, there is another change and efficiency is lost again.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Branford, CT
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Branford, CT

I worked at Roche full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary, 15 days of holiday, great career possibilities

Cons

Roch has the atmosphere of a big cooperation, slow decision, a lot hirachy ...

There are newer employer reviews for Roche