There are newer employer reviews for Roche

It's work, but it can be fun.

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Fishers, IN
Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Roche

Pros

The workplace environment is one that benefits the employees. Every now and then, fun activites are planned to promote the employees well-being, such as fundraisers, pitch-ins and more. Overall, it is a great place to work.

Cons

The health benefits (for Adecco) are not what they could be, which had I known it before, I probably would have looked someplace else. The pay is reasonable, but healthcare benefits are lacking.

Advice to Management

Make yourself more available to the "average" employee. Interactions with management are great and they facilitate an environment of growth, but upper management is rarely seen.

reviews filtered by
  1. Successfull Drug Giant

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Roche is a very Successful company, compared to all the other pharma corporations out there in the world. the drug pipeline looks promising, espceially with all the Genentech stuff.

Cons

Roche is very bureaucratic and slow moving company. The Swiss culture certainly is visible and most decsions are taken centrally after months of discussions. While top management is OK, the next level of management in the headquarter is of mixed competence. The recent Genentaech announcement is a downer.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at the various levels of management in the organziation in the headquarter. There is a clear lack of inspirational abilities.

Closing Roche Palo Alto

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Roche

Pros

The location is great, and the people are great. The last few years there has been an effort to grow organically, and hire new young talent. There used to be a pension, but they discontinued it for new hires. It is one of the biggest pharma companies out there, and they are partnering with many small biotechs to bring exciting new medicines to market. Unfortunately, all of the compounds discovered at Roche (that are not from Basel) get killed the slow death from lack of support, delays and fear of the unknown. There are very few people left in big pharma who actually know what it takes to get drugs on the market.

Cons

The Genentech buy out will close my site in Palo Alto. But worse than that, our pipeline is completely inverted, and has been for 5 years. We have more phase 3 and 4's than we have new molecules. That is very costly, and the highest levels of management have not let good molecules go forward due to lack of funds. This will kill the company before 2015.

Advice to Management

be careful what you wish for. if you manage to cut your costs and people too much, you will no longer be attractive as a pharma partner because you will be unable to meet delivery timelines. And let's face it, in licensed products make up a big chunk of your pipeline.

outsourcing is not the answer you think it is.

There are newer employer reviews for Roche