Careful not to ruin the incubator of "Roche" success- Genentech

Current Employee - Director in Nutley, NJ
Current Employee - Director in Nutley, NJ

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Diversity and GLobal presence of its culture

Cons

Euro centric work culture and processes;
Lack of corresponding respect for vast differences in US work culture

Advice to Management

There is a belief that ROche is not that different than Genetech
In fact, ROche is a Euro beauracracy and needs to adapt the success model
which has worked so successfully for Genentech-it is not luck

reviews filtered by
  1. Roche is a great place to work if you can avoid the politics.

Former Employee - Senior QA Specialist in Belleville, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior QA Specialist in Belleville, NJ

I worked at Roche

Pros

Roche was the place where I learned how to be a professional. I loved the people I worked with on a daily basis, as well as the friendly and supportive atmosphere. I had great opportunities to learn and grow there, and people are still impressed when they hear that I worked at Roche. My supervisor taught me a great deal, as did my coworkers. Roche values mentoring very highly, which is wonderful. Mentoring inspires great working relationships and helps both the mentor and the protege learn new things and stay current.

Cons

There were rivalries between worksites sites, favoritism, and politics were prevalent. While there were opportunities to learn new things, the group structure was calcified and younger folks couldn't really hope to advance until older folks quit or retired. I always had the impression that Sr. management was out of touch, and maybe didn't really understand what my group did.

Advice to Management

Sr. management has changed since I left, so I'm not sure how relevant my advice would be.

2. It's work, but it can be fun.

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Roche

Pros

The workplace environment is one that benefits the employees. Every now and then, fun activites are planned to promote the employees well-being, such as fundraisers, pitch-ins and more. Overall, it is a great place to work.

Cons

The health benefits (for Adecco) are not what they could be, which had I known it before, I probably would have looked someplace else. The pay is reasonable, but healthcare benefits are lacking.

Advice to Management

Make yourself more available to the "average" employee. Interactions with management are great and they facilitate an environment of growth, but upper management is rarely seen.