There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins

Great place to work but expect to relocate to IA if you want to get anywhere.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Most departments have flexible schedules to allow for Calif commuting times. However, these times are not formalized, (e.g. no 4/10 or 9/80's) and it can vary greatly depending on your managment. On the other hand, no one is micro-managing your time. We are treated like adults with good pay. We also get a pretty good holiday schedule with the week off between Christmas and New Year. We average between 13-15 holidays per year. The working conditions are great. We have an great incentive pay program which can translate into a very healthy bonus each December when the business is good.

Cons

Rockwell has not implemented any type of compressed work week. We do not have the option of 4/10's, 9/80's or complete telecommuting although many of us have a pretty good commute to get to work each day. Rockwell Calif has a terrible HR department. There appears to be no employee advocacy even though we are invited to report to the "ombudsman." No one has real confidence in this process. Rockwell is "Cedar-Centric". There is very little room for advancement unless you plan on relocating to Iowa. Most upper managment is located in Cedar.

Reward your "remote" employees. If Cedar can manage employees in Calif, then it should work the other way around as well. With all of the talk of being a "global" company, Rockwell still operates as if it has only one location and that location is in Cedar Rapids, IA.

644 Other Employee Reviews for Rockwell Collins (View Most Recent)

Oops

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, NE

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Pay scale is relatively good, time is relatively flexible. Good benefits package.

Cons

Lack of communication, lack of organization, focus on meaningless metrics rather than root causes. Recently, several significant negative policy changes put in place.

Focus on the root causes, not the meaningless metrics. Identify the talented from the incompetent.

Great skills base to be among, but political

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Level of technical competence of your peers is very high relative to other technical employers, and much knowledge is unique in the industry. It is fulfilling to know that your work makes a difference in the industry, and can be seen flying on aicraft or military platforms

Cons

The mandatory overtime is a bummer, as is the politics of middle management, which is tiring. Also, it is still possible to sink into the bowels of the organization and stay there as a mediocre contributor for a long time. When your project depends on one of these Rockwell lifers, watch out!

Flatten the organiztion much like GE has done.

There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins