Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

Great place to co-op or intern

Engineering Co-Op (Current Employee)

ProsI was began working at Rockwell Collins the summer after my freshman year in undergrad engineering. All 3 of my co-op sessions have had very meaningful work and I never felt like I was doing busy work. They usually give you an entire project to complete and it is your responsibility to plan and execute it. At the end of each session I was given the opportunity to present my work to upper level leadership. This was great to make connections that may help further along in my career.

As a co-op at Rockwell Collins, your time with the company begins the day that you first start. This is helpful with retirement benefits, vacation time, and advancement.

They set the interns and co-ops up with housing which is fun because you will probably live near other interns that you can hang out with in the evenings and weekends. Some of my fondest memories of college were from the summers that I spent interning here.

Overall Rockwell Collins is a very laid back place to work. I have been in Cedar Rapids and Melbourne and in both places most of the engineers just wore jeans, a polo shirt, and tennis shoes.

ConsI've found that they have a difficult time keeping their interns and co-ops after they graduate. It seems like most of the interns use Rockwell Collins as a stepping stone to larger, more known companies such as Boeing, Lockheed, NI, TI, etc. I'm not sure why that is.

Another thing about working here as a co-op is that they don't actively find you a new placement for your next co-op session. You basically have to search for internships on their website, do the entire interview process, and be "re-hired". They still keep you in the system but you have to go through all of the hiring process that an external candidate would as well. It would be nice if they gave some guidance on finding your next session. I sometimes wonder if I hadn't applied for a new "internship" for the next session if I would have ever continued my co-op past the first session without Rockwell even noticing.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally make a push to keep your younger employees, especially interns and co-ops. You are losing huge talent to other companies that you could be keeping. The average employee age is fairly high so you need to start thinking about the future.

software engineer

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros: good company to work with Cons: takes long time to get promotion More

Friendly people, need to be part of the good old boy club.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Consistent work, great coworkers, room for improvement. Cons: Good old boy club that doesn't recognize people for their… Advice to Senior Management: Stop hiding behind your doors and listen to your resources. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Rockwell Collins.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!