Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

Rockwell is a good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Usually, the work environment is very positive. People are great to work with.

Cons

Bureaucracy creates too much overhead.

Other reviews for Rockwell Collins

Great Place To Learn What Not To Do

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Compressed work week.

I saw an interview on TV a while back by the founder of a TV network. She was asked what the best job she ever had was. She answered that the best job she had was actually the worst, because she was able to learn so much from the mistakes. When put in similar situations in her TV job, she endeavored not to repeat them. Basically, she said that anyone could learn the correct way to approach a problem from text books or instruction, but only failure could teach why seemingly good approaches wouldn't work in the real world. Thanks, Rockwell Collins, for teaching me many lessons.

Cons

A super Cedar Rapids focused place. Essentially, because slave labor still exists in Cedar Rapids, management believes it can be perpetuated to the ends of the globe. This truly is a place where the work harder not smarter philosophy dominates. Engineers are often required to find their own work and justifications (or NWAs) for doing anything.

Shortcuts to DO-178 exist at every turn. Additionally, DO-178 has been misinterpreted so badly that unnecessary evils have been added, and necessary steps are ignored if they cost too much. Essentially, DO-178 has been perverted to an extreme. Because a certain individual at a certain cert office has accepted this perversion for so long, it persists to this day.

Process is viewed as evil, not as something that could benefit.

Any problem can be solved by sufficient manpower, but not efficiently. Efficiency, maintainability, and enjoyment suffer here.

My manager was inexperienced, never seeing that there was a healthy forest beyond the forest fire that was being fought each day. Pull your heads out of the projects and fires that surround and consider the long term picture. Invest in robust processes, tools, and individuals that will prevent Rockwell Collins from being completely obliterated by competitors in the years to come.

Used to be good company, declining benefits, upper management errors

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

As a younger employee, its a good place to learn new technologies and learning what it takes to keep airplanes in the sky. If you are someone that works hard and can "perform", they will tend to give you higher raises than average... if you are patient, this will eventually mean a good salary, etc.

Cons

Unique benefits (paid overtime for salaried employees, 1 week shutdown over christmas, good health insurance) used to make RC a great place to work. However, there's been a very deliberate decline in all forms of compensation to bring RC in line with "market analysis of our peer groups". This is short hand for RC is deliberately making themselves "average". Recent health insurance changes only provide high deductible insurance (catastrophic style with a $5K or $6K yearly limit). . if you've got kids, that's pretty much going to mean $5K out of pocket every year... I don't get it myself. I've been interviewing at other companies in the area, and there are companies out there that provide excellent, affordable health care. I think RC's deal is that they're just trying to cut costs... they could provide good health care, but they think they can get away with not providing it. Its that kind of mentality on a lot of different things that would make me not recommend RC to others. I've had a good career here so far, but over the past 2-3 years there have been enough bad experiences to make me consider another employer.

Remember "trust matters"? I think you've eroded or lost that trust with your employees over the past 4 or 5 years... squandered your most important resource. You might see your employees as a necessary evil on the expenses side, but if you want to reach that next level, the only way you are going to get there is if your people perform. And the thing that keeps us from performing right now is that we're worried that you're going to make a bunch of decisions that might look good for the short term and get you that bonus this or next year, but are going to really be poor choices and will compromise our long term success. Don't let us down.

There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!