Rockwell Collins
www.rockwellcollins.com Cedar Rapids, IA 5000+ Employees

Management Heaven

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEmployed for now, maybe I can last until I retire... or find a job I enjoy.

ConsCuts to everything, benefits, pay, profit sharing, 401k, pension gone a few years ago, medical.
The culture has become one of duck and cover. No management support for engineers or their decisions. If someone in power does not like the answer you are out.
The corporate surveys are a joke, they ask no hard questions only feel good to make the company look responsive.
A recent restructure in Quality has led to knowledgeable workers being let go and idiots elevated.
Quality leadership has not one person with any experience in Quality operations. Absolutely doomed to fail.
Lean has become a power tool to destroy anything done by anyone with actual knowledge.
They added 4 more steps to the 4 step PDCA cycle... how Lean.
All proven quality tool and philosophies are renamed some from of Lean. Confusion is the result.
New tools which have shown excellent results are cast aside due to not invented here.
EVERY outsourced job has been a failure. The Indians and Chinese cant code verify, design. Several led engineers, technical manger senior technical managers were fired when they kept bring up issues and costs of the outsourcing and management refused to accept the problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire 70% of management and hold the rest accountable to become enablers to help the engineers and workers to perform... no micro manage or misuse their power to break their subordinates down. .

Management out of touch and outdated

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Cedar Rapids is a god place to bring up family. Cost… Cons: Very tight and protective of old ways. Too much emphasis on process. The middle management and selected group of old engineers control the agenda.… Advice to Senior Management: My advice is to get real experts from outside of the companies. I know you think that everyone (technical staff and engineers) who has been… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Decent company to work for

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Lots of career opportunities. Great people for the most… Cons: There are some organizations that have a lot of lemons working there. Why they don't get rid of them is beyond me. I've… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Rockwell Collins.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Collins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rockwell Collins CEO Kelly Ortberg. All reviews posted anonymously by Rockwell Collins employees.