There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins

Once Very Good, Now Not So Much

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX
Current Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is possible to learn quite a bit here and have the opportunity to work on some very special programs. When you do complete a project, it can be a very rewarding feeling. When I started at this company, it was the first time I felt like I could be working for my last employer in my life.

Cons

This company suffers from making good and even great engineers into managers. As managers, they tend to be very poor and morale suffers accordingly. Some managers are permitted to simply bully employees in ways that would never be permitted if their leadership observed it. Unfortunately, managers at the Richardson, TX campus rarely suffer any real scrutiny by their superiors from Cedar Rapids. Every successful project witnessed was run by a project manager and every unsuccessful project witnessed was run by some poor engineer told to be a project manager. The magic is over and I see this company headed downwards with an exceptional emphasis on making sure that we meet or beat stock market expectations.

Let great engineers be great engineers. Help them find a career path that lets them expand upon being great engineers. Hire good managers and stop making successful engineers into bad managers. It isn't a reward and many good engineers have been lost this way. Use more project managers and stop making junior engineers into project managers.

reviews filtered by
  1. Very grateful for what Rockwell has offered me

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for.

Cons

the winter - it gets just too cold

Good people, bad tools and procedures.

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people, bad tools and procedures.

Cons

Terrible tools and procedures. 19th century tools and procedures in a 21st century world.

If you screw up and buy the wrong tool, bite the bullet, fix it and move on.

There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins