Satisfactory

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

people, technology, motivating management, pushes you for your excellence.

Cons

WFH is not available, as the employees have to work with different time zones, WFH will be beneficial.

Advice to Management

enable WFH

reviews filtered by

Disappointing, Job not a career.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Usually not micro managed. Flex time. The company has been working to upgrade the average employees computer and phone to allow more productivity. Most company hardware and facilities are being given a 'cleaner' look.

Cons

No rewards. Cut back on benefits every year. Middle Management full of politics. Career Opportunities limited to who you know. Salary will not keep up with industry average.

Advice to Management

With 15% attrition and overwhelming negative employee moral...don't you think you're driving the company down?

Non-stop firefighting, dysfunctional, sometimes toxic

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collins can be relaxed and have good work-life balance if you're in the right department. The technical aspects of avionics are genuinely interesting, and engineers are generally provided everything they need (except time) to get the job done. Most of the low-level managers I had were good. Everyone is pretty nice.

Cons

Life can be miserable on a struggling project. Big products are setup for failure when management disregards engineering estimates and over-promises to customers. Large chunks of work are off-shored to save money, only to have it be redone at the last minute by in-house engineers because of poor quality.

I worked for more than six years on various commercial systems products. Firefighting was the norm and not the exception. Mandatory unpaid overtime was used more than it should have been. Corners were cut and numbers were fudged to hit milestones. The technical debt that accrued was never paid off and it was hard to convince management to make time for it.

Engineering talent is okay, but largely mediocre. The best engineers could probably be doing better elsewhere, but don't know any better. (Many eventually figure it out and leave for greener pastures.) There's some dead weight amongst the ranks of older engineers; lots of older guys who have learned how to "cope" with the environment there. Low and middle-level management are forcefully shuffled around too much in futile attempts to re-rail trainwrecks. I lost some good managers in such shuffles. I didn't interact with higher levels of management very much, but they usually seemed like blowhards to me.

Advice to Management

Take the advice of Art Collins: "I want you to do it right as fast as you can, not fast as right as you can."

Since leaving Rockwell Collins a year ago, I've gained new perspective by seeing how other software companies operate. Collins is pretty dysfunctional by comparison. Now is a great time to be a software engineer, and there's little reason why a good engineer should have to "settle" for working at Collins. If you want to retain (good) talent, minimize the chaos and treat them like craftsmen, not interchangeable cogs on an assembly line.