There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins

Good company however site matters.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for the company in Duluth, Ga. I learned a lot. It gave me a different way of looking at how to do/not to do things. I worked with a wonderful group of people.

Cons

Not all site locations are the same. So the company shouldn't apply all of the same processes to each site. While I understand uniformity is important but you'll never put a square peg in round hole.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

On the Decline...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Warrenton, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Warrenton, VA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I joined Rockwell Collins in 2007, Benefits were great and so was the compensation along with very interesting work. As time has progressed the benefits have declined year over year to becoming no better then average, all the while getting modest at best pay raises. If you have a good manager with interesting work you can excel in the company, but if you get moved around you can easily be pigeon holed into work you hate.

Cons

Very in-flexible to non-Cedar Rapids locations, benefits are getting worse and worse. Promotions can be hard to get and if you want to stay in engineering there isn't much advancement. Working with RC in Cedar rapids is much better then at regional sites, RC does't understand how to adapt to different locations needs.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep down attrition, don't work people to death with no rewards and improve benefits, otherwise people will continue to go elsewhere.

Non-stop firefighting, dysfunctional, sometimes toxic

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collins can be relaxed and have good work-life balance if you're in the right department. The technical aspects of avionics are genuinely interesting, and engineers are generally provided everything they need (except time) to get the job done. Most of the low-level managers I had were good. Everyone is pretty nice.

Cons

Life can be miserable on a struggling project. Big products are setup for failure when management disregards engineering estimates and over-promises to customers. Large chunks of work are off-shored to save money, only to have it be redone at the last minute by in-house engineers because of poor quality. I worked for more than six years on various commercial systems products. Firefighting was the norm and not the exception. Mandatory unpaid overtime was used more than it should have been. Corners were cut and numbers were fudged to hit milestones. The technical debt that accrued was never paid off and it was hard to convince management to make time for it. Engineering talent is okay, but largely mediocre. The best engineers could probably be doing better elsewhere, but don't know any better. (Many eventually figure it out and leave for greener pastures.) There's some dead weight amongst the ranks of older engineers; lots of older guys who have learned how to "cope" with the environment there. Low and middle-level management are forcefully shuffled around too much in futile attempts to re-rail trainwrecks. I lost some good managers in such shuffles. I didn't interact with higher levels of management very much, but they usually seemed like blowhards to me.

Advice to Management

Take the advice of Art Collins: "I want you to do it right as fast as you can, not fast as right as you can." Since leaving Rockwell Collins a year ago, I've gained new perspective by seeing how other software companies operate. Collins is pretty dysfunctional by comparison. Now is a great time to be a software engineer, and there's little reason why a good engineer should have to "settle" for working at Collins. If you want to retain (good) talent, minimize the chaos and treat them like craftsmen, not interchangeable cogs on an assembly line.